Microsoft to put next version of Windows on ARM chips

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I was about to think that MS was committing suicide when I 1st read the title of the post. However, the 1st line within the statement quoted above reminded me that MS can't possibly be that stupid. Well, at least I'm glad it isn't.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many of you guys here will 'upgrade' to Windows 8 (assuming that's the name) when it's released and use it on your current existing machines if the spec requirements substantially increase? Forget about upgrading your hardware - just assume you're not going to do that. Anyone?

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Very good move i think. I am happy to hear this.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im really pretty indifferent to this, i suppose its good that theyre diversifying but i doesnt really effect me at all and probably won't for a long time to come.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

For starters, by doing this you will no longer be buying PC's by just Intel or AMD. Now also NVidia, Qualcomm, & TI to name only a few. You'll also see Intel's super small new atom chips, with a PC motherboard the size of 2 fingers. There will be a much wider variety of competition in the hardware sector now, all great for the user.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ye i imagined that wuld happen, but i dont see it taking off dramatically anytime soon.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Could be something significant, but i think it will not be a great deal :rolleyes:

9. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

The main significance of this announcement is that you will no longer have to make do with baby operating systems on highly mobile devices.
    People who have doubts about MS being able enough to innovate should go visit their nearest AT&T, T-Mobile store and check out Windows Phone 7.
    I got it a few days back with a choice to play with it for 30 days and exchange it for an iPhone 4. Guess what - I am keeping it. It's that good.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Microsoft has a stupid licensing agreement with PC manufacturers putting on a crippled version of Windows called Windows Starter on netbooks. Are they going to repeat that mistake with ARM? Because it seems to me Redmond has been trying to kill the low cost PC market segment - albeit unsuccessfully.

Windows CE 6.0 has been a dismal failure on low end smartbooks due to the lack of software and drivers for every day tasks and Internet connectivity.

Whether they'll get it right with ARM powered netbooks remains to be seen.

11. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

The only way I see them succeeding is by making a single unified core OS which can be deployed in a component based manner depending on the scenario. Also required in this case will be a light-weight app development model that can make smart-phone apps easily run on PCs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.