Microsoft to miss 'one billion' Windows 10 target

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Krusty, Jul 18, 2016.

1. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

No surprise seeing the target amount of 1 billion was over-ambitious to begin with.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

A lot of people don't have Internet access.

That can be a problem because Windows requires it to run.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Not sure if I understand that. You can still use a Local Account and run things offline.

4. NormanF

I meant for the browser and Internet-facing apps, you need an Internet connection.

You can run certain things offline with Windows but if you don't have access online, you're limited in what you can do.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

And how is this different to any other OS?

6. NormanF

Endless OS gets around the problem with built-in apps that don't require an Internet connection.

Of course, Internet is desirable but some parts of the world don't have infrastructure to connect to it.

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

Yup come out with Windows10, try and force it down peoples throat and then appear to abandon any other Microsoft operating system or make it harder than hell to obtain any patches or updates if any are even available anymore. Nope Microsoft needs to go the way of the dinosaur and become extinct.
    Always,
    Wildman

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

None of my Windows 7X64 Ultimate machines have been able to connect to Microsoft update server for 3 months now. This has been an ungoing problem since Windows 10 was released. I need at least one of my Windows 7 machines for work, and school. My friends and family have the same problem with Windows 7. If I didn't need Windows for school, and work I would only use Linux.

9. NormanF

You will have to download and install rollup packs if you haven't updated your Windows for three months. Its simpler and faster than waiting for Windows Update to download individual patches for installation.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Unfortunately, that's the only option I have left since I have exhausted all possible fixes for this problem. That will be more time consuming, and I have very little time as it is. I will have to read through all the patches to make sure I don't miss one in regards to what MS software is installed on each machine.

11. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Not able to connect?! Did you install/run some kind of anti-Microsoft-tracking program that blocked Microsoft servers? Are they behind a router that has had such blocking implemented?

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Not only is Win 7 supported until 2020, I've also seen several laptops on sale with Ubuntu or Mint preinstalled. I am not sure what OS my next desktop computer will run, all I know is it won't be Windows.

13. Cutting_Edgetech

No, none of that. I'm pretty sure it's a bug with Microsoft. I know many people with the same problem.

14. elgon

elgon Registered Member

Not very surprising. PC sales are low, anyone but high end gamers are not eager to migrate, professional market is holding back migrations until antitrust will rule about W10 privacy issues - I'm not implying anything negative here, iOS and Android are doing almost the same, but they are not used the same way WinPC are; the fact is US antitrust is expected to pop up about the topic in near-mid term by anyone, and outcome is expected to be positive for user's privacy.

Plus, MS was counting mobile and xboxes as "W10 machines", but WinPhone is on life support (to say the least) so the contribute to total count is negligible.

15. Minimalist

I agree. Microsoft still thinks that they can create one-size-fits-all OS. At the end they will end up with OS that doesn't provide best user experience on any platform.

16. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

17. Minimalist

Thanks for link. Too bad they sorted results by alphabet instead by date.

18. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Yes they could have been sorted better. I am a little puzzled by the numbers especially when the bulk of MS clients are Enterprise users - I'd have thought the admins would have all the telemetry turned off - unless the data is coming from what can not be turned off :isay:

19. wildman

wildman Registered Member

In a word Microsoft SUCKS! It's Linux for me!
    Always,
    Wildman

20. login123

login123 Registered Member

With respect, I suggest that microsoft figured out that users COULD control the older OSs, so they took control away.

There is an interesting graph here.
    http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201509-201609

Notice how the lines for win 7 and win 10 almost mirror each other, and the changes are leveling off now that the free push has ended.

21. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Its actually pretty fast why don't ppl like it?? if you use it go to 7, 7 looks bit older now. Use classic shell and its same as 7

22. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Telemetry, Telemetry, Telemetry & Telemetry.

And the hidden Telemetries nobody can find yet.

23. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Microsoft has released its latest 'OS market share' statistics, which once again is very different from the other bean counters out there.

I see that Microsoft does say that they also count unsold devices in their numbers, whereas the others do not. IMHO: Counting inventory is not representative of market 'demand' which is what market 'share' is all about. Usage is a far better indicator.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/store/windows-app-data-trends

Here are the comparison numbers from other reporting entities for the same time period ...

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/12/microsoft-windows-10-is-doing-well-netmarketshare-well/

The differences are substantial. Unfortunately, the distribution of the stats throughout main stream is more likely going to be Microsoft's numbers. I expect shareholders only see these numbers as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.