Microsoft to let consumers test Windows 7 on Friday

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Hmm. I guess since the vast majority of hardware and software for home users are developed for the Windows platform, nothing is going to change overnight. Much to the disappointment of those nix followers :)

I tried 7 in vmWare, gave it 16gb and 512 of my 4gb ram. It installed via ISO perfectly, and actually very fast even compared to XP. I have not played with Vista much, although I do own Ultimate. It does feel slow compared to xp (vista that is), probably more than anything due to Aero or the 'different' interface compared to xp.

Anywho, I find 7 to be very fast. On a vm, I would say even faster than XP, if that is possible, and only using 256mb ram at the moment. While I am not a fan of all othat vista/7 brings to the table, 7 seems to perform well.

Personally, until there is something that forces me to move on to vista/7, I will not. And this is only because I know XP so well, that I really don't want to invest time into learning all the little nuances of vista/7. At some point, the number of peeps I know that have vista/7 will outnumber XP, and I will be almost forced to learn more. That is probably when I will switch over to 7 most likely.

One thing I wish they would do (and maybe they do), is to use a Classic XP approach to everything if desired. I like navigating to a properties of something just the way it is, without all they pretty eye candy.

Sul.

2. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Gave Windows 7 a spin in Virtual PC 2007sp1 and have to say it runs slower than Vista in Virtual PC 2007sp1. Both are setup in a 16GB vhd with 1 Gig of RAM. Not sure if its my hardware or what but Vista is alot faster than Windows7 on my box. Noticed theres a hidden unlabled partition about 200MB thats before the actual system partition, I think its some kind of backup for the bootsector or sumtin, gonna sneek a peek with Puppy Linux.
    Oh yeah and I just successfully restored Windows 7 using PING took about 9 min for about 6 Gigs in virtual enviornment. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.