Microsoft Dumping Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dragon1952, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I might have to stay with ie10 on w7 because ie11 might not work good with w7 from what i read.

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

What did you read?
    In which aspect does IE11 not work well with Windows 7?

3. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I read stuff in the past that w7 and ie11 do not work well together. Maybe these have been fixed.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. My IE11 works very well with 2 Win7 64-bit PCs.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support
    ------------------------
    http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-to-end-support-for-internet-explorer-8-9-and-10-next-week
    http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-to-kill-support-for-internet-explorer-8-9-and-10-on-jan-12/

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

What it means for others who are smart enough to already been utilizing a much better "variety" of more secure browsers is absolutely nothing.

I always used IE (and actually still like to do sometimes) but with so many newer website software now implimented the internet pages protocols are fashioned such that it's worse then i personally have ever experienced. ADS (flash movies and overlapping ad vids) now (on IE exclusively) are so overkill crammed in the web pages that it not only takes forever for them just to load THE TEXT ARTICLES if not just freezing things up completely.

7. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Windows Vista is supported until April 11, 2017 and Windows Server 2008 (non R2) until January 14, 2020 therefore so will IE 9.

Windows Server 2012 (non R2) is also supported, this time with IE 10, until January 10, 2023.

A bit confusing overall. Maybe MS is reneging on previous promises or I am not reading it correctly.

8. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

"Confusing" should be Microsoft's Motto. I don't think M$ knows what the hell their doing anymore.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't think I've used IE in the last 7 or 8 years, maybe longer. Well, only for downloading Firefox! lol

12. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I use IE to download software when I'm working on Windows 10 systems, as Edge is missing the Run option for downloads. With IE, you can choose to Run an exe file, instead of saving it, so it only gets downloaded to the cache folder, and does not get saved to the Downloads folder. It saves having to delete the installer manually after running it.

13. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elaine...end-its-bizarre-reliance-on-internet-explorer

14. itman

itman Registered Member

Sounds to me more of a case of North Korea hacking South Korea's networks. Of course, no SK politician is going to admit to that .....................

15. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I just opened IE for the first time since I don't know. It sure is fast and not as ugly as I remembered. Put AdBlock Plus on it. Works like a charm, no freeze or borks, I like it better than Edge already. It's not the securest kid on the block but.... What you all think? Using Windows 10 latest.

16. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

If you want to use the IE11 Trident engine, install FlashPeak SlimBrowser.

Better GUI than IE and a lot more user-friendlier.

17. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Thanks for tip! :)

18. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Well, here's this item:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...fications-for-april-2017.393136/#post-2667548

It's published 4/12/2016 but it just updated 4/11/2017. I looked at the cumulative update info for build 1703 and it looks like a patch for IE is in there, but is it this one? If not, are we supposed to install the updated patch via the update catalog? It looks like it's still dated 4/16. Hang around for the internal updater to load it? What?

You can say that again.

19. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

:thumb: :D :argh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.