Microsoft to disable product activation over Net

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I have just bought windows XP pro from Ebay. It was reasonably cheap so i am not sure of the authenticity of it (it hasnt arrived to me yet) but can i ask does the COA and product registration code from my Windows XP home i got with the machine work on XP pro too.

If so where would i find my COA and product code as it doesnt seem to be on the side of my machine.

Thanks

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The codes and reg numbers are different for home and pro they will not interchange.

bigc

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Does this only apply to OEM preinstalled. I read the article but was not 100% sure about my $200. XP Home software purchased from the store and loaded on my old Compaq when I dumped ME OS. Thanks.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

mercurie

I think these will be the key statements. It should be interesting.

Starting Feb. 28, Microsoft's product security will require that customers who need to reinstall their operating system call a customer service representative to get a code that will reactivate their Windows XP system.

"When a customer or reseller tries to activate using a Product Key found on the list of 'disabled' keys, the online product activation wizard will instruct them to call Microsoft, where a customer service representative can assist them further."

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running xp pro right now that is legal but has not been registered with microsoft for over a year. I don't really care to register it at all but I probably will register it to be able to keep up with the Windows patches and updates.

bigc

7. easyas123

easyas123 Guest

That's a contradiction isn't it? A or B? Whatever it is, if you've been considering a nice, clean, fresh install of XP, NOW is the time to do it. Install XP and all service packs up until now, tweak it as you like for security purposes, and then MAKE AN IMAGE!!! Basically, having this image would then serve as a "fresh install". The same as if you started over with the disk, except you are already activated. I believe in having several images, one with all of my most used programs all set up on the computer with a new, clean, freshly installed XP. Everything done offline, total safe hex before getting updates, behind a firewall, the whole bit. That's a comforting thought to know that it is in my safe deposit box. Then, I have the image that I mentioned, basically just a fresh install updated and tweaked with no programs, same for all practical purposes as a fresh install, and lastly, I keep weekly images in case I add programs, make a new tweak, etc. I have three choices to select to go back and install. The weekly's are all done after a complete security sweep of my PC. If you've thought about a clean install from scratch, seriously, to save some possible headaches after 2-28, you might want to do it NOW and then - IMAGE!!

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Sigh...I've got an OEM version of XP Home...But I always call MS anyway so whats the deal.

9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

My one is OEM preinstalled, even if I reinstall my XP home edition, I don't need to re-activate. The OEM already activated it at the factory. :D

10. Firecat

But what if you have to format your hard disk? Then the only way is that maybe your PC manufacturer tied your BIOS version to your PCs activation...Or else your gonna have to reactivate.

11. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Maybe I am image challenged, but don't you need to have an opperating system to restore an image to? For instance, your hard drive is completely dead, you run out to the store and grab a newer and better one. you put it in your PC. Now what?

In this scenario (almost) the only way to handle it is

1 - Install xp
    2 - Install Backup program
    3 - Restore xp with your backup that you have recently made.

There are only a few ways to get around this, but only one that I consider worth the effort of preparing. It requires copying your entire hard drive to a second drive, and just storing that drive with your current backup. Though it may seem excessive, think how much time this would save! Just plug it in, and restore from recent backup!

Is there a better way? I don't know lots of backup software, but my impression was that you had to install Windows first.

- HandsOff

12. mercurie

Hey everyone,
    I appreciate the infomation, knowledge is always good even if it is bad news. :(

But I am more troubled by this then any other thread posted to date here at the Wilders. I think this could be a real problem especially for those who use periodic reinstall as a way to clean there sytem up of broken stuff and trash that can not be fixed by other means. Mainly done by the "tinkerers" who share their knowledge with those of us who are not as sharp or tinker less but depend on you.

When ever you have to dial up a number to ask for assistance you are at their mercy. What if this telephone support is poor, long waits... :p . Might start out good and then go down hill too. I do not know I have never used it. Firecat has, perhaps he can share with us. Second what if after a certain amount of reinstalls Miro$oft gets alarmed and says you have reached a certain limit and MS says sorry we think you might be a pirate no more activation for you. Micro$oft should really rethink this it should be easy to use there stuff or users may slllooowly migrate to other OS platforms.

Anyway as this happens I would ask all to post back to this with their experiences. If it does become a problem. This thread could become very useful for research and "can you help me fix this :'( :mad: " for users in the future as the 28th is not far away either. Thanks all. Good info Ronjor ;).

13. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

You can get around having to call or connect to M$ ... on a re-installation if you have already previously activated the product. Add the WPA.DBL file to a slipstreamed XP install disc. The WPA.DBL is the activated file for your PC & Hardware. The benefit of backing this up to CD is that you can "activate" windows without actually needing to connect to or telephone Microsoft. This means you can re-install without having to worry about the limited times you can activate before calling a Microsoft representative.

More info on Slipstreaming SP2 into XP and the WPA.DBL file --> http://www.neowin.net/articles.php?action=more&id=94

HTH, ;)

Steve

14. orthocross

orthocross Registered Member

I hear all about pre-installed OEMs, but what about the "FULL OEM" CDs?
    My brother built my machine, and installed a "FULL OEM" of XP Pro he bought from a national supplier of computer parts.

This CD was manufactured by Microsoft, not a large multi-national system builder.

I periodically reinstall my OS and applications (about every 6 months).
    Will I have to call the Activation Center to activate my OS?

From what I have heard, only COAs provided with pre-installed XP will have to call to activate, but I've seen no one on any forum anywhere who gave a clear answer concerning COAs provided with "FULL OEM" CDs.

I would really appreciate a clear answer from someone who knows about this matter.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

16. Firecat

Well guys, I am back!

@orthocross:

I have purchased a full OEM CD of WinXP (Home) just like your brother, manufactured by MS..I've always had to call the MS Service Center because Internet activation just wouldn't take my CD key.

FULL OEM CDs are STILL OEM CDs. Which means we probably WILL have to call, I wipe my HD and reinstall every 3 months, and every time I have to call MS for activation because Internet activation does not accept the CDkey...

@dog: You beat me to it!

@mercurie:Yes, I call MS everytime because Internet Activation does not accept my CDKey...read this post fully.

Sometimes calls are long, sometimes short. My shortest was 5 minutes and longest was 25 minutes.

Why? Sometimes you just get on with activation - but that automated system (during non-working hours) I often find hard to undestand while it mouths out my confirmation ID...I have to tell it to repeat it wastes time.

Sometimes you get a customer service representative who asks you a few questions like how you purchased your PC, which brand it is...they seem very 'suspicious' of what you do, though they have excellent communication skills and often don't express it in any way. And when they ask me about how I purchased XP, they 'remind' me that Full OEM packs only have paid support from MS...how many times have I heard that?

Most of the time, they dont ask questions on why you had to wipe your hard disk. But sometimes they do.

But the last time I called, the automated phone activation REFUSED my CDKey and I was redirected to a customer service person in another country...He seemed little bit grumpy and angry...I explained to him my CDKey was not working...and he said something I didn't quite understand...and it seemed that he was annoyed and said it louder. And then he said the confirmation key and told me its good for a one-time use only...its mentioned everywhere in the interface and help, why wouldn't I know that? That was only once though.

''The customer representative will ask several questions, such as where the person bought the Windows XP system, to find out whether the certificate is authentic, the representative said.''

These are exactly the questions I'm asked most of the time.

But overall the process is friendly and easy, but irritating.

And in the end, they ask you to answer a few questions and take a survey etc...You can cancel it, but its still wasting your time...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well I hope that helped.

Regards,
    Firecat

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  17. Firecat

18. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

This is why I've stuck with Windows 2000. No online activation, no possibility of Microsoft pulling the plugin on activations (leaving your installation CD as useful as a drinks coaster) and no possibility of "forced upgrades".

Any software that requires online authentication has to be considered as a short-term rental for this reason.

19. controler

controler Guest

My HP has the Restore CD's plus the OEM XP home CD.

Desktop is home built witha a bought XP Pro CD.

Like you, I love to reformat. What kind of crap are they trying to pull now?
    I thought it was OEM System that will need to call in also.
    Why the heck would they want to tie up people for activations?
    If I can not reformat anytime I want, then I like many others will migrate to another OS like Linux or SUN. This migration wouldn't hurt MS since most normal people don't reformat every few months and they know it.
    I guess all my reformat preaching is going down the tubes then huh?

Bruce

20. Firecat

Not just yours, Bruce. There are many of us. It applies only to OEM versions of XP though.

21. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

22. Firecat

23. controler

controler Guest

Sorry but I am trying to make my best chicken & dumplings here.

I don't think we need the BAK file do we?
    wpa.bak, wpa.dbl

24. Firecat

No I don't think so.

25. mercurie

Yes. I am aware of these two files. Had no idea for sure why an XP book said make a copy and save in case you do a reinstall. Of course that was several years ago. I knew a lot less. One question and then an observation because I noticed something and recopied these two WPA files on to a new floppy. It appears SP2 may have altered these files. At least I think they did it was modified about the time that update occured. Anyone shed some light on that? Is that the only files we need because when I do a search on these, these files must be referenced in several other files including a log file?

Thanks for the link Antarctica, as I said above I was not real sure on how to use these. Which may have answered my question on the other files that showed up in the search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.