Microsoft to Adobe: It's too early to dump stand-alone software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wild Hunter, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Read more:
    http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-to-adobe-its-too-early-to-dump-stand-alone-software
    http://blogs.office.com/b/office-ne...e-subscriptions-progressive-or-premature.aspx

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Maybe Adobe is more worried about piracy, and they figure the sooner they move things into something they can control, the better... Who knows... Even so, it will still take years.

3. guest

guest Guest

OMG M$ too? Well, we should've expected them to do such movement. :rolleyes: Just hopefully they won't do that to their OS.

Lol, everytime a company would/had done some silly changes, the excuse is always the same. Copy-paste much? :rolleyes:

4. Wild Hunter

Thinking a bit deeper about this, online subscriptions/software-as-a-service may also end a lot of security problems arising from people failing to patch software.

5. guest

guest Guest

On one side, yes. But "absorbing" money from people with subscription-based softwares is just plain evil IMO. Think about 3rd world countries. :'( Besides, automatic updates should patch the softwares... automatically anyway.

Except that people only need to pay for initial purchase, but the subscription is free. Y'know, lifetime licenses. :D

6. Wild Hunter

Automatic update/upgrade mechanisms aren't mandatory for standalone software.

The same doesn't apply to online subscriptions/software-as-a-service.

Subscribers are always on the latest versions.

As for morals, I agree: they should reduce the prices of these subscriptions... however... take a look at the prices of standalone Creative Suite or Office: they were much more abusive IMO.

Also, these subscriptions bring to the table several services to enhance the user experience. These offers require a huge presence in the cloud (server farms, etc) and high costs of maintenance.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  7. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I think those bolded additions add a bit more clarity :)

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Software as a service is nothing more than a financial gain for the vendors. Security is waaaay down the list of benefits and it won't even matter. Holes will still be there and you'll still be completely (if not more so) dependent on vendors to patch.

9. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

This move by Adobe is about two things: more money from customers, and more control. I'm sure MS would also like to get more money, but they are afraid that if things go wrong they will kill their own cash cow (Office).

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

MS knows that if they move everything online I will become a full time Linux user...

11. guest

guest Guest

Ditto. Oh hai, Linux Mint... ^w^

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I hope they bomb, all of them.
    Thermonuclear style.
    Mrk

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Same here. ;)

14. Wild Hunter

Of course it matters. The benefits are large, including but not limited to faster and mandatory patches, bigger commitment from the company, etc.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Your name came up at their board meeting.;):D

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The only thing keeping me from that right now is that I own Win 7 and still enjoy using it, but as it is, I dual boot. Moving to linux would really be easy at this point. As Mrkvonic said above, I hope they all bomb too... I'd love to see that. :)

17. Wild Hunter

Please move.

Linux (and other charity software) needs more users to be a real alternative.

And companies need less backward users and/or pirates stopping them from taking risks and really improving things.

So everyone wins. :D

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yawn....

19. icarusfoundyou

icarusfoundyou Registered Member

I have Adobe creative cloud and the updates are not mandatory. I just checked mine and at least 5-6 of my programs haven't been updated. I believe it does have the option to autoupdate but I haven't activated it.

20. Wild Hunter

Well, that's a bit disappointing. I thought that the periodic activation required completely updated software.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  21. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Basically, the difference between the 2 companies is their strategy and timing.

Microsoft is implying that they are going to do the same but they are waiting for customers to be accustomed to the practice. They are playing it safe by taking the gradual transition approach.

Adobe on the other hand has decided to take the risk and make the move now rather than wait further.

Different companies have different risks tolerance level. I wonder why Neowin is making this look as if Microsoft is advising Adobe when they are actually questioning the timing. Classic example of attention-grabbing title. :p

22. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Not exactly what they did in Windows 8.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Adobe really has nothing to lose by doing it now. Existing users of Photoshop and CS etc will probably just keep using their purchased software for at least 3-5 more years anyhow, so it will be at least 5 years before anyone feels the need to move to something newer. In other words, the transition will take time, no matter how it's implemented.

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.infoworld.com/d/the-indu...-against-adobes-subscription-only-plan-218343

25. guest

guest Guest

Yosh!! You see that Adobe? It's what we called justice. :argh:

Not sure how much that would affect the plan though. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.