Microsoft Super Patch Tuesday (4/12/2011)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I think most have the same experience. Some are unlucky enough to have the one specific chip or setting that doesn't play well. And I can tell you from experience, the further you go from what would be considered default, the more likely you are to see issues.

You are probably the norm :)

Sul.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Indeed. I am the poster boy for the norm as I go with the default to a fault.;)

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I finally figured out the solution to my problem that can be described in two words, flash drive. :D Where have I been? I invested in 8 GB to put excess baggage in and life is good. I can get the contents of five CDs easily on it with plenty of room to spare and its a heckuva lot faster.

14 important updates this time, 36.6 MB which is slightly higher than the recent norm. One of them actually fixed an instability issue I was having with my display so I guess I it's not all bad. :D

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

15 for my XP SP3, no problems. Probably could have been more, but I don't have Office other than the Powerpoint viewer, since some rare users like that format for posting images.

I held off updating until over the weekend, since MS's servers aren't exactly the speediest in the world and I figured the rush would hopefully be over by then.

5. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Two of my computers updated w/ no problems. One refused all updates. Googled and found many with the same problem.

So I stopped the update service. No more from that M$ site. Rather use Software Patch or just nothing.

Who, if anyone has experienced it, someone 'taking control' of your computero_O Perhaps a noob with no AV installed. But M$ loves these!! Like you will be taken over and implanted and do as M$ wishes! So be afraid...very afraid if you don't apply this GD patch.

:gack: :gack:

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Wonderful "solution" :rolleyes: :thumbd:

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@Allen L.: You should be more concerned about malware authors instead of MS. Once you get infected, you'll experience what it's really like when someone else takes control of your computer.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  8. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I am stuck with dial-up woe is me.
    I have win 7 64 bit with MS office over 200 megs of security patches ,plus some important patches making a total of approx 300 megs, unbeleivable!
    It took a few nights

9. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I had no trouble with any of them.

10. Allen L.

I'm sure most of what you 'frequent posters' say is true. However, I let it slip my mind that Wilder's Forums are also one the most paranoid group of members as can be found anywhere concerning malware/ virus infections.

True, one can be careful...but you'll find members on here that run NO AV, NO spyware and stay clean by smart computing and not just click on anything that's a link. Frankly I've run all systems since late Win95 and most AV's...never a virus - some malware cookie or two. Nothing more.

But...if you truly trust M$...I would rethink.

:blink:

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Very often, here, problems come from Security setups; not from Malware... :D :D :D
    No objection. ;) There are users running so many Security Apps that offer No Incremental Protection...

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Those members (maybe you included) must really trust Microsoft to only use its built-in Windows security.

Since you seem to distrust M$, why are you running Windows OS?

13. Allen L.

Are you contradicting yourself? *You* also run Windows...and don't trust it's built in safety? o_O That consists of the patches issued monthly also!

I don't care for the updates that M$ issues by the yard full every month. No IT for any sized company will push their updates until 'aged' and pre-tested, as there have been so many errors.

I also use Linux, like you, but it will not do most of what I need in an OS as of yet, and I doubt ever.

:rolleyes:

14. guest

guest Guest

Everything is fine after installing all the critical/important updates. Accusing them of "bloat" is a fallacy, as they simply remove broken code with new fixed code.

15. Allen L.

*I* never accused them of 'bloat'. To me broken code replaced after a pushed critical update can bring down a complete network - that is what I meant.

:cautious:

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How am I contradicting myself? I never said that I don't trust Windows built-in security. Note the word only, applied to those who runs no third-party security.
    You're the contradicting one on that subject. You don't seem to trust MS, but do seem to trust Windows.

As for the updates, what do you expect? Windows is installed on billions of different computers with different settings. You can't reproduce that for pre-testing no matter how large your corporation is.
    Aged updates also means longer lasting exploits, and less security.

17. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

I am afraid that this is more the rule than the exception. Counting all the updates for Ubuntu will give a similar size (larger including other applications)

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Some of them enjoy testing stuff, and they have multiple image backups to always return to a clean state, and test all over again...

Some don't have the knowledge/lack the will to "hack" Windows and the web browser to become a lot safer against malware, and they rely on third-party security tools. I'm not really debating whether or not some may or may not use too much; not really my place. It's up to them.

In the end, it all resumes to one thing: Do you feel your system if fine with the security measure you've deployed?

Some prefer to simply rely on image backups and perform on-demand scans, and if the antimalware scans report anything, they'll just reimage. Others prefer to prevent infections to the most possible by securing Windows and the web browser, using whatever measures they allow the users to make use of. Image backups simply becomes a backup strategy, in case of software failure.

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Some people like cars a lot. They wash them and polish them. They keep them clean inside and out. They do regular maintainance and even talk to thier cars like they are alive. They cover them in the summer and put them in heated places in winter. They really love thier cars, these people.

I like to drive to work rather than walking 5 miles. I turn the key and it goes. I have to remember to put fuel in it and check the fluids. Otherwise, it does exactly what I need it to, gets me where I'm going.

Sul.

20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

off topic posts removed. For me as for the majority updates went well as it usually does. If anybody have particular issue with some updates post in a fresh thread. Closing this one. Thank you for your comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.