Microsoft Silverlight

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

So what do you all think of it? Personally, I´m not impressed, most of the time it seems to use even more CPU time than Flash. And often sites are telling me I need to install SL while it´s already installed. I ´m not sure if this tech will ever be as popular as Flash. :rolleyes:

http://silverlight.net/Default.aspx

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Microsoft has to do ALOT more, to restore my trust in them. I don't need Silverlight = ballast on my computer.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

4. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Any more feedback on this?

I recently did a Windows Update and Silverlight showed up as "optional".

Is it just more MS bloat or worthwhile? TIA

5. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Is there any reason why I should download Silverlight? It shows up as an optional download for me as well during Windows Update.

Are there any security issues with this application, good or bad?

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I did install Silverlight a couple weeks ago. I havent noticed anything special. In fact I am not sure if it is doing anything...:doubt:
    How do you know when it is active? Does it replace flash or something?

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Silverlight is the Microsoft answer to Adobe's Flash. Being a Microsoft product, expect that it will be supported/pushed by a good number of mainstream sites. IIRC, Silverlight will provide the framework for the live broadcast of the next Olympic Games in Beijing.
    Silverlight shares the same security concerns as every other browser plug-in. It opens the door for remote code execution if vulnerabilities are discovered.

8. lucas1985

Go to a site hosting Silverlight content :)

9. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Well, if you are like me, at one time you might have been willing to give new MS software a try.
    But after suffering through the first month of Vista installation (getting it running, finding drivers patches and fixes) and now having been unable to get SP1 to install for three weeks, in spite of 2 hrs on the phone with MS tech support, and about two hours on my own each night trying new settings and then restoring backup images, I am not downloading anything from MS until it is proven that I really, really, really need it. :D

10. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

That's my general philosophy about Microsoft.

11. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I run a Firewall and FireFox with the AddBlockPlus, NoScript, and FlashBlock add-ons, so why would would I install a version one-dot-zero Flash-wannabe from MicroSoft of all places?

Although I am running Vista Home Premium (and have been since June of 2007) and put SP1 on a week or so ago.

I like Vista and Vista/SP1, too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:cautious: Really :cautious: the Word Ballast actually means Stabillity :shifty: so what your saying is you dont want your computer to be stable :cautious: and again really :O 256kb is hardly anything to wimper about :cautious:

13. ErikAlbert

FDISR keeps my computer very stable and very clean as never before. :cautious:
    I don't need M$ and its genuinecheck, each time when I try to install one of their softwares. I'm still trying to install OneCare and Windows Defender was also a pain. :cautious:

14. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Well I've installed the player and ordered one of those free developper kits but at this point it's not making me shiver :D.

But let's give it a change.

15. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I install Silverlight but it seems Vista or IE don't recognize that Silverlight has been installed, and keep on asking me to install it. :( :thumbd: :isay:

16. ErikAlbert

OK . You gave it at least a chance. I have nothing but installing problems with MS Softwares and I'm legitimate registered WinXPproSP2-user, but that doesn't make any difference.

17. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I tried Silverlight more than a month ago. Every time I visit the MSDN subscription site, it prompts me to install Silverlight. I installed it several times, but it still asked me to install it again. I didn't notice any difference in the MSDN subscription site after Silverlight is installed. Maybe Silverlight was not properly installed for some reasons so it keeps on asking me to install it again. o_O

18. ErikAlbert

I'm not going to try Silverlight.
    Not long ago I install Windows SteadyState. After a proper installation, I get the message that I have to activate WinXPproSP2 within 3 days, while it is already activated by phone. I stopped immediately, I hate phone activation.

Recently I installed Windows Defender :
    - first I had to do a genuinecheck
    - then I had to install Windows Installer 3.1
    - then I had to activate Windows Update, which I had disabled
    - then I could finally install Windows Defender
    I ran the damn thing, no threats found. I uninstalled WD.

I tried to install Windows OneCare, again troubles. I ended it, because my good mood was over.

In the past it was always easy to install MS Softwares, not anymore. Pffft.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Like .... ?

20. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

There are some sites showcased on Silverlight.net that use Silverlight.

Here's one: --> http://sl.weatherbug.com/?zip=98052

A little weather bug for mobiles but you'll get the idea. Overall, not too impressive.........

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks prius!

22. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Installed the MS Silverlight - cross platform, cross browser plug-in (ie, fx/Moz/SeaMonkey, safari, opera with hack, Konq is planned a few weeks ago. Apart from the Siverlight site, I used it on TechNet Spotlight. Can't really say if I'm impressed so far, but will be working with it, so will see then.

23. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

I think I've read that MS plans to move their site exclusively to Silverlight. Exclusively to the point that you won't be able to navigate microsoft.com without it.

If thats true, then I'll cease using their website for everything. I don't think that there is anything to get from there that can't be acquired elsewhere.

24. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

I doubt they would do that. A website for promotion purposes is a different story, but a website that contains downloads and lots of information should be viewable in any basic browser, without plug ins (imo).

25. lucas1985

Couldn't agree more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.