Microsoft Ships Internet Explorer 8 Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

also causing lots of issues here as well.. i uninstalled and will wait and hope they fix some of the bugs. imo rc version was better

2. Arup

Arup Guest

No issues here on two XPx64 PCs so far, runs fine and fast.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

have you tryed both the 32bit and 64bit version?
    when i tryed the RC on vista 64bit the 32bit version worked fine but the 64bit version crashed on every website.

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Tried it on XP Pro w/SP3 32 bit.
    Crashed and burned badly. Took IE7 with it.
    Restored an image and am happy again.
    If FF or Opera had ever been this bad I wouldn't have used them either.
    Hugger

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I just got a reply from Microsoft. Actually, I got two replies.

They both say the same, and in english, is more or less like - phone to this number, because you reported a whole bunch of technical crap and we can't give support, unless you call us, dear customer.

They didn't call dear customer. I made up that part. :blink:

Those were automated replies. (Not the ones regarding to the ticket number, etc.) The real deal... :rolleyes:

So, I report problems with IE 8, and all they do is send two replies (One to the original e-mail I sent, and one to the re-forwarded e-mail I sent, saying I believe it has to do with applications/processes/installers needing administrative rights), and sent by some automated process.

Way to go. :thumbd:

It would be one thing if they needed to talk by phone for a better support, but an automated process saying for me to call them?

And the second e-mail I sent them, wasn't that techy. o_O

6. RAD

RAD Registered Member

hmmmm...
    I downloaded the 32 bit last night and it seems to run fast and smooth under Vista. One website was sort of misplaced off the left side of the screen, but that was fixed by checking the "compatability view" option.

I haven't tried to access "Services" , but I didn't note any bad behavior when I started and briefly played with numerous programs.

7. m00nbl00d

Hello,

Do you have UAC enabled?

8. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Yes, I have UAC enabled and I use AVG free antivirus.

I just clicked all my office programs open, my UPS control service, my AVG control panel, and MathCad open and putzed around a bit to make sure they all seemed to be working.
    No problems (other than the website I described above) have surfaced.

9. m00nbl00d

Could you try to open Windows services with Administrative rights?

Start Menu - search field - services.msc

Then, right click it and choose to execute as administrator. Tell me if it's fast opening it, or if it hangs for a few minutes.

If you don't mind, that is.

Thanks

P.S: I got no problems opening applications/processes or install software, which do not require administrative rights.

But, everything that does, will just hang. For example, if I open SpywareBlaster with administrative rights, it opens fast, but checking for updates makes it hang for a few minutes. Same deal with Spybot, Malwarebytes.

It messed with everything requiring admin. rights to do something.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@m00nbl00d
    what version of vista? and is it 32bit or 64bit?

i will image and install IE8 tomorrow and test to see if i can reproduce the issue you are having.

11. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I installed IE8 on my Vista laptop and noticed that almost all programs launched slower. Uninstalling did not totally fix the problem...I had to restore an image backup.

12. m00nbl00d

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

13. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I tried opening "Services" twice as Admin. The first time, it did seem like it took an exceptionally long time to pop up on my machine (2 full seconds), The second time I tried tio time it and it was so fast that I couldn't accurately get it (I had to click through my UAC challenge)

maybe this all has to do with "prefetch" and Indexing. Any time you rearrange stuff on your hard drive it takes longer to find because of the indexing system, until it has been reindexed.

Anyway, mine seems to be operating just fine.

14. m00nbl00d

I don't think is due to prefetch and Indexing. I also couldn't get into my Admin account. Nothing would load into the tray bar. And, I've waited quite a few minutes to see if anything would load. My guess, due to the lag for things with administrative rights to load.

Anyway, thanks for testing.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

atm im using vista home premium 64bit which I will test first.
    I can always install 32bit version if need be just to test.

16. RAD

RAD Registered Member

If it makes any difference, I am always logged in as ADMIN, and I installed IE8 as ADMIN.
    When I ran the "services.msc" test I tried both just clicking it and rt-click, run-as-admin
    It is popping up lightning fast in both scenarios for me.

So far I am pleasantly surprised at how little IE8 differs from IE7. I hate in when they change everything just for chang's sake. The Inprivate Browsing" and additional security features seem like a good idea, but don't seem to affect my actual browsing much.
    Speed seems very good; but IE7 seemed good to me.
    Maybe it is psychological, but IE8 seems a little bit faster displaying pages.

Here is one of my favorite sites to monitor for bargains. It usually takes quite a while to load, and sometimes all the pictures don't come through under IE7.
    I just vistited it under IE8 and it loaded within about 5 seconds. All pics are there instantly. Don't visit this site without cookies set to "off" or you'll pick up a bunch of ad cookies.
    http://www.techbargains.com/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  17. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

IE8 should be superior to IE7 in almost every way.

18. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

... and what a fiasco it is!

There is a bug ('feature' in MS lingo) in IE8 RTM that causes it to keep re-reading the Zones lists for each tab and then some.

In practice, if one has Spybot, spywareblaster or IE-Spyad Restricted sites immunization in use, this can cause IE8 to hog 100% of a CPU on a 3.6GHZ Core2 for almost a minute!

Way to go Microsoft.

MS is aware of this, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a fast fix.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archi...mmunization-by-spybot-s-amp-d-is-enabled.aspx

Resolution: Uninstall IE8RTM and re-install either IE7 or IE8RC1.

The other non-fix is to remove *everything* from Restricted Zones list (not recommended).

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ive just installed IE8 final.
    services loads fine with admin rights. admin accounts and standard user accounts work fine.

the 64bit version of IE8 still crashes on every website....

when i first opened IE8 32bit i didnt get the welcome wizard so i had to find the settings manually to turn off accelarators etc. can anyone confirm? and is there anyway to run the wizard manually?
    it showed on the 64bit version.

it also told me at the end of the install that i dont have all windows updates when infact i do.

even thou the 32bit version seems to work I will still wait a while before i install IE8 on my parents xp machine. hopfully soon enough most of the bugs will be fixed and it will display the first start wizard.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  20. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

I did install IE8 too (IE8-WindowsVista-x64-DEU). and it´s running on my Ultimate64 very fine. (I´m here with IE8_64).

During the installation updates of core-components was downloaded but not installed. I had to restart the machine and then the updates came alive. I did start the IE8x86 (32-Bit) to configure it and to see if the NIS2009-integration was succesfully. It was. Then I did start the IE8_64 and was impressed of this fast browser and the new features.

So far, so good (knock on wood). :D

21. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am very impressed by this final version of Internet Explorer 8 .
    First installed on Windows Vista with SP1 (x86) and I plan to install it on all other computers .

I have visibility problems with many local Bulgarian sites but when Compatibility view is used , there are no issues . Have problem with Wilders , too . All big international/English sites I regularly visit load well in the Standart mode.

The 3 biggest improvements I find are the SmartScreen , InPrivate browsing and the fact that pages load very fast/the browser is very fast.

22. Gianni

Gianni Registered Member

23. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I know GESWall and IE 8 do not like each other ONE BIT.

24. Long View

Long View Registered Member

installed and running without any problems.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Decided to take a chance and installed it here on Vista x64 also, works great, seems a fair bit quicker now, and no issues at all so far. x64 versions works ok too, but I don't use it as there is no x64 flash yet. All in all, I am impressed and having no problems with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.