Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by RCGuy, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I recently installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer and wanted to know your opinions and experiences with it.

Also, it requires that you have no other anti-spyware or anti-malware program installed on your computer because it could conflict with MSE. But what I wanted to know is: Is MSE worth that? I mean, I'm used to having Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware on my computer, but with MSE, it sounds like you're not even suppose to have them on your computer.

Also, I had Facebook Prevx SafeOnline on my computer because I liked the extra security that it gave HTTPS sites(even if you were infected), but it sounds like MSE doesn't even want you to have that on your computer.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. fblais

fblais Registered Member

You'll find a few threads about MSE in the "other anti-virus software" forum.

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

It doesn't do well in the MRG flash test. I personally would use something like Avast.

4. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I agree with this. Avast is much better than MSE. Lighter as well.

5. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Functionally this is a glaring untruth!

When run with MBAM PRO, entries may be made in each other's exclusionary lists, when needed. That is why the exclusion lists exist.

On a test XP system of mine, where I occasionally take intentional Internet risks, I run both MSE & MBAM PRO with other layered system security precautions.

MSE is only there as a test, not by desire. Avira AntiVir Personal is my AV choice for better protection.

HTH :)

6. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Exactly, as detailed here.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

AFAIK MSE can run perfectly well with another on-demand scanner, like the freeware SAS. I use this set-up on my notebook. I don't know about other realtime programs. They are probably superfluous anyway.

8. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

+1

I use MSE at work, together with MBAM free on-demand. it let trough viruses (adware) and 5 minutes later it blocked one of it. after a full scan with MSE, MBAM found many items to be cleaned. avast is much better, and also free.

9. Francis93

Francis93 Registered Member

High RAM usage, poor detection rate. :thumbd:

10. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

That's simply not true, even if they repeat that to exhaustion at MSE's forums ("MSE is all you need" is their favorite song).

I've used MSE for close to two years and I never found anything imcompatible.
    Programs I had along with it at one time or another:
    Comodo (no AV)
    Online Armor
    Outpost free suite (with AV enabled)
    MBAM Pro
    SAS Pro
    Immunet Free
    ThreatFire
    Mamutu
    Bitdefender TrafficLight

I would be very surprised if there were problems with Prevx SafeOnline.

11. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Actually, they state that when the program is being installed. But that sure is a lousy "untruth" that they tell for unsuspecting people such as myself.

But anyway, on my computer, I found that I experienced the same thing that Francis93 experienced. Therefore, I uninstalled it.

12. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

I never had that experience.
    In fact, MSE always was the most user friendly AV (both to me and to the machine) I ever tryed.

Even if I'm using something else (whatever) at the time, the one I'll always go back to is Microsoft's own.

13. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Francis93:- "poor detection rate."

The VB100 comparative testing would appear to disagree with you on that one.
    In fact they've achieved the VB100 award in their last 3 testings.

I like avast but cant help thinking sometimes that by providing all the 'guff' features its masking other short comings, but each to their own.

:)

14. Francis93

Francis93 Registered Member

Oh well, let's just say MSE is good at known trojans and worms but horrible at zero-day attacks or new viruses in the wild.

And also, MSE's on-demand scan and update is so slow and heavy (heavy like RAM usage). :rolleyes:

15. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

...and at about 67% proactive detection and 81% reactive detection, MSE probably shouldn't have earned what it did from VB100.

BTW, MSE did not earn a VB100 award for Windows XP when tested last. However MSE was at version 1 and the test was April 2010. Of course we all hope this will change for the better.

My 2 cents...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It was pretty good, except for resource usage with default settings. Too much I/O activity, unless you change it to Incoming only (just new files monitored). Also, there's the detection rate, which is a little low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.