Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gasp, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gasp

Gasp Registered Member

Is there a way of stopping Microsoft Security Essentials from changing the Windows Update to Auto? When I set this to "never check for updates", MSSE sets it bak to auto.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Gasp

Gasp Registered Member

Hmmm, very strange

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

As far as I know , this is impossible . Additionally , if you have now MSE , it has already upgraded you to Microsoft Updates.

Forget about MSE . I read your another thread (about Panda Cloud's failure - as you describe) . You have to fight malware and kids that do whatever they want . MSE is not that strong .

Don't forget Windows 7 includes Windows Defender which runs by default . This way you half the protection MSE offers (WD includes the same engines as MSE and uses the safe defintions - the antispyware part). Get something stronger than MSE - consider a paid product.

Yesterday I played with the new Kaspersky PURE (based on Kaspersky IS 2010) . Not that I am fan of Kaspersky but it is considered strong protection . Furthermore , its Parental Control options are great . If you want all in one solution with full malware protection , firewall , HIPS , parental controls , encryption , back-up and tune up , you can trial this Kaspersky product.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm not using MSE currently so can't confirm it, but my understanding is it uses Windows Update to get its' signatures. Perhaps it can't update if Windows Update is set to never check? Obviously you don't want an AV that can't auto-update, so if you really want to keep Windows Update off you will probably need a different product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.