Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kees1958, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Microsoft themselves might not bundle MSE directly with Windows but OEMs might see it as a desirable option and 'encourage' it's installation.Whatever the outcome Symantec & others better start dealing with the fact that MSE is a credible product that's here to stay.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yeah but I'm sure McAfee/Symantec will pay a reasonable amount to keep their trial software on new PC's.

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yes i bet they will,

tho microsoft has lot of places they can tell users about MSE like

msn.com, their toolbar, windows updates-"Microsoft Live Essentials" or maybe even a icon so people can download it on new PC's just like Msn messenger live is.

who know we will have to waite and see. but i wish they would have some release notes for MSE. i like it hope they add more things to it to make it better.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Paul Thurrott

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And now, I can go to sleep in peace. Thank you.;)

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i dont think that will ever happen for u lol :D

8. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Official Microsoft PressPass

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I googled this issue and saw other reports of MSE running some sort of updater from a drive separate from the drive MSE is supposed to be installed on. Has anyone here came across this? Any explanation for it?

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why is this thing so darn slow? If i scan my drive with avast! or AVIRA, the scanned files numbers are jumping by 10 scanned files and sometimes even by 3 or 4 digit values.
    But when i scan with MSE, the value is increasing by 1 scanned file. And even that is happening at incredibly slow rate. It's taking forever to scan stuff where avast! would have finished long ago. Weird. Only thing that have installed is ThreatFire. Don't tell me it's conflicting with it too?

11. elapsed

No idea, it's always been fast for me, and you could say maybe it's just my machine and I would probably agree, but the fast scan speed on the AV-C test results tends to agree with it too. I'm going to guess your engine version is definitely v1.1.5101.0?

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

First scan I did with MSE took a long time. After that any scan done completes for me in a minute or so.

This is on an old xp machine I have upstairs, it's definitely not a high spec one at all :)

13. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

The stories mentioned have some negatives about MSE, of the form "They won't put xxxx out of business" or indicating it is not comprehensive.

To me that just means it isn't a suite. So if I were to install a firewall, hips, and MSE, how would that differ from an all-in-one suite? In case you are wondering, I'm thinking CIS with AV turned off and MSE in place of CIS AV component.

Or in other words, how would MSE compare to, say, Avira free (which has no HIPS component AFAIK)?

14. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Same here, we encounter no scan performance problems on both 32 and 64 bit systems. The first beta did have such problems though (on some machines).

15. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

This is what happened to me on both pc's, my vista home and xp pro. I am also happy to say the updating is working perfectly now. This was the only issue I had with it but now it's updating each day.

Ice

16. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I tried MSE a little while ago and liked it a lot but found that although it ran OK and scanned fast there was a problem(?) in that after starting the computer or when rebooting it when it got to the desktop there was along delay for the desktop icons to properly load and then the quick launch and task bars were slow to load. I noticed in Process Explorer that MSE loaded very early so I assume it was doing a quick system scan before allowing the other things to load.
    Is this normal behavior or a problem caused by my ancient XP Home SP3 machine, now six and a half years old.

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

the tray icon is just so ugly for MSE :D

18. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Exactly the same happened to me but on Win7. Very high CPU after reboot. Very slow start menu with high CPU again. Also starting programs you get a higher CPU hit compared to other products even other free AV's. Lets hope the final fixes this.

19. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

20. elapsed

I've selected the upgrade option, but it says I have the latest. :( Guess I have to wait longer for update servers to kick in.

21. elapsed

Ok, Beta users, download the new MSE installer from the link above.

[Do not uninstall MSE]

Run the installer, it will give you an "upgrade" option, select it.

Warning: If you turned off scheduled scans and selected Advanced SpyNet, both of these options have been reset.

22. simisg

simisg Registered Member

is this final?

23. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Any changes in this versus the last beta, or is it pretty much the same?

25. guest

guest Guest

Where is the scan log? i cant find.
    Can Anybody help me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.