Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kees1958, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I had Prevx running and set MSE not to scan Prevx.exe and that helped with resource usage. Do you have any other realtime scanners running (including cleaning programs/defraggers/ etc)?

2. samnetx

samnetx Registered Member

Give me information, can I install Microsoft Security Essentials with avast antivirus home and Outpost Firewall in Windows xp sp3 (Updated regularly). I want to know if there are any conflicts between the two AV's when running both at same time. I think that my PC will get slower by installing two AV's.

samnetx

3. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

99.9% of the time there will be conflicts when running 2 or more definiton AV's.
    Even if it appears to be working ok, it'll still slow the machine down a lot and as soon as it detects something, both AV's will go apesh*t on your machine.

If you want to test MSE, disable avast! completely by disabling the startup key in "msconfig" and disable the services in "services.msc"

Fuzzy

4. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

The cpu problem we noticed here always happened at boot time, but we sent the trace back with tools supplied by MS so I take it it should be fixed.

5. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

o_O

You never install two active AV in the same system! That is a sure way of getting random system and performance issues, crashes etc. not to mention missed or false detections when the two struggle for control.

If you want to try MSE, uninstall avast! first.

6. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Interesting news... :thumb:

7. acr1965

Mine is version 1.1.5005.0

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No, that's the engine version.

9. acr1965

Gotcha, thanks

10. simisg

simisg Registered Member

anyone knows if auto update works well in the final edition? and how often update?

11. elapsed

No one has the final version, and I highly doubt they changed it away from once a day. What I'm curious now is testing Microsoft Forefront, apparently the new beta has cloud technology? I haven't tried yet. But I'm interested in launching it on several networks.

12. acr1965

I just installed Defensewall to run alongside MSE. DW popped up a warning that mpsigstub.exe was attempting to access the internet (or something to that effect). I checked the logs of DW and it shows the mpsigstub.exe was running from my external hard drive (J). And that that there was an "Attempt to overwrite file C:\Windows\system32\MpSigStub.exe".

I allowed it but now MSE turns itself off and I have to manually turn i back on.

Why is MSE running an updater from my external hard drive?

13. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

leave it to Norton to whine the most. Personally I think it is a great product and what Norton fails to say is, it also has cloud scanning, not just signature based.

15. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

What do think of this comment from same article?

16. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I think that most "regular" PC users use their free antivirus (AVG, Avast, Avira etc) as their only protection and don't even know that they might have malware inside their computers.
    MSE looks to be good and if it is, then why not use it?

Just my opinion.

17. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

That is not surprising at all. Symantec has been downplaying MSE ever since it was released. MSE has Microsoft's backing and is free, thus generating a legitimate concern for companies who don't provide free solutions.

Also, to say that signature-based solutions is next to useless is pretty ridiculous; just look at the top scorers at AV-comparatives--Avira, G-Data, Avast, etc--all rely on signatures pretty heavily.

18. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

:thumb: Good news, hope they release localized versions tomorrow as well since the beta was in English only. In my opinion MSE is a very nice application, combined with (for example) ThreatFire you're good to go for free.

19. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Anyone know what the differences are between this and Microsoft Forefront (the current version, not the beta)? Figure since its the same company I won't get nailed for an A vs B thread :)

20. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

That's true,although technically Symantec do provide a free product under the PCTools umbrella.

It's not difficult to see why Symantec in particular are so rattled by MSE,since a lot of their business is generated through their products being bundled as a trial by many OEMs.Given that a lot of users will go on to purchase a full licence when the 90 day trial ends,if MSE becomes the new standard on these systems,as is likely,they could find one of their best income streams come to an end.

21. elapsed

Brilliant news, hopefully us "beta" testers can upgrade through the upgrade function.

22. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

If this were to happen, I foresee an antitrust lawsuit coming. While bundling MSE will not doubt help curtail the amount of PCs that get infected (due to unlimited ongoing protection not afforded by trial versions), I don't think other security vendors, particularly the big ones, or the European Union will sit back idly.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

MSE with Prevx and/or Sandboxie is all you friggin need. CAST THAT IN STONE.

I did.:)

24. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i noticed that MSE does popup saying there is a new version of it and ask you to upgrade.

25. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Microsoft has stated that they will never bundle MSE with any version of Windows (probably for this very reason). They also stated that it will always be available as a free download from their site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.