Microsoft Security Essentials-What sets it apart?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sportsfan7700, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have always found 3GUSER to be open and fair about any software. I have often asked for his advice and he didnt try to sway me one way or another. So Steve, chomp-chomp.:argh:

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Light based on what? Your "feel". And btw, I wasn't only talking about ram use. Notice the "in all facets" in my post.

3. lws

lws Registered Member

I had the same problem Security Essentials 1.0.1963 non beta as well. The icon would start up red and stay that way, that Windows Security would popup a window warning me that I have no anti virus installed. Then eventually the icon turns green. This happens in beta and non beta.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

light to me is equated in speed and responsivness, not weight.:p

5. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I got rid of the issue after tuning my startup items and putting a login password for Windows in place. BTW, which OS are you experiencing this on, coz on XP you simply cannot make that thing go away.

6. iravgupta

Why would that come as a surprise? One look at the 'What's your security setup these days' thread and you will realise that most of the wilders guys supposedly spend more time with apps than their partners.

7. iravgupta

You want to make it 'feel' lighter - 1. In the stable version, add explorer.exe and dwm.exe to the list of excluded processes. 2. In the beta version, change real-time protection to 'scan incoming files only'.

8. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

does MSE also scan for rootkits?

and this web/mail security.. isnt it pretty unneeded anyway? if i open a mail with thunderbird, where an infected file is in, as soon as i execute it MSE would dedect it anyway? And web security.. not sure what exactly that is :p

When u say the ebat relies more on the windows firewall , would that mean i could get in trouble with OA free firewall?

thanks

9. simisg

simisg Registered Member

yes mse is strong against rootkits also scanning any file you try to execute
    in your pc also from mail
    most complete protection available for free is comodo internet security

10. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I am using Vista home premium 32 bit.I am going to change real-time protection to 'scan incoming files only' and see how that goes. I hope it does not compromise my security.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Thanks. Is scanning outgoing files just for email and uploading?

12. iravgupta

In addition to that, outgoing also means the files already existing on your hard disk. So when explorer is rendering them, MSE will not scan them repeatedly(whenever you open a folder, open the start menu, open Add-Remove programs etc.) if you have 'scan incoming files only' enabled.

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Ah, very nice. That should help a lot.

14. Chris _MS_

Chris _MS_ Registered Member

If you have feedback on MSE, especially in the beta version, be sure to provide it to Microsoft. Even if your feedback is that it seems "heavy", it may be a correctable problem in some cases.

Personally, I wouldn't exclude explorer.exe, but that's my personal opinion, not official advice.

15. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I have tried MSE v1 a few times and I just tried the newest BETA . The BETA seems much better than the previous version . Very good and may be the best freeware antivirus program among all other free.

I just don't like two things :
    - Wish it didn't install Microsoft update . Working with Windows Update is sufficent for the security things (and turning it to auto-on).
    - In my own test , it missed a lot of malware. Of course I relied only on it , IE9 notified me of potential problem with the samples I used (not digitally signed) but it it was a simple warning of potential problem not exact verdict and was by IE . What if I was using another browser ?

Anyway , for a free application - I give it 9/10 - but for a free . I wouldn't rely only on it just I like rely on another paid antivirus products

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  16. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

17. iravgupta

Free Web, Email, Phone and Malware Cleanup support for a free product sets it apart too.

18. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Anybody here tried their MSE Support (malware clean-up or other malware related support) ?

19. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I haven't tried their malware support but I did contact them for an install issue. After a couple of back and forth emails didn't solve my problem a support tech called me, connected to my PC, and spent about 45 minutes until he was able to install MSE. Pretty good support for a free product.

20. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I have never tried their malware support , too . However their other support is great . I am just curious . Can you explan what did the the tech do to your Windows , what was the problem actually that prevented you from installing MSE ? How did he/she connected to the machine - Remote Assistance or ?

21. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I think that the problem ended up being caused from a previous install of MSE. A registry issue. The tech actually called me at home at a time that I chose. He remotely connected to my PC and spent about 45 minutes with me. Pretty great support.

22. m0unds

m0unds Guest

that's pretty cool--for nearly every other MS product, that's the sort of support you have to pay for. good on 'em. :thumb:

23. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

This is kind of a presumptuous question to be asking. It assumes that MSE is better than all the other paid products and you want to list the reasons as to why.

Well clearly all tests show that there are many paid products better than MSE, so I'm not quite sure how to answer this question.

I can tell you a few things I do know

1. MSE has excellent dynamic unpacking support. They have developed some techniques that dont require them to write an unpacker for each packer/encrypter/obfuscator out there. This I think is a huge win.
    2. Being Microsoft, they see new malware faster than anybody else because EVERY Windows PC in the world is sending information to their backend, whether it be Dr. Watson logs some of which contain actually memory dumps of the malware, or just information from the millions of installations of OneCare, Defender and all the other incarnations of their failed security products.

So their turnaround time on signature-based detection is very quick. That said, paid products have developer alternative techniques like behavioral detection using SONAR, or HIPS in Kaspersky, reputation with Norton Insight etc.

24. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Yes , MS support is great but have you actually though about this from another angle ? You paid for the OS and it actually has problems - being security related or other . So to fix these problems , Microsoft releases patches every month or more often - for FREE. Microsoft included Windows Defender and they still support it - for FREE . Microsoft release antivirus program (MSE) - for FREE and still provided support but just like it is part of the OS - because MSE can be part of the OS , it is made to be part of the OS. So the products you get with Windows and the services , too - they are kind of pre-paid . Of course you pay less but we all (most) paid for Windows - that is a lot of $ . You may see it as free but Microsoft just want to back-up their OS and remove the claim it is bad OS because of security issues.

25. m0unds

m0unds Guest

well, the thing is though that they're not supporting it like it's part of the os. if they were, you'd be paying to call them for help with it. that's why it's nice that they're offering remote management/repair service for free to users of MSE. i know what you're getting at though, and i agree, microsoft does go out of their way to support their software via patches/fixes, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.