Microsoft Security Essentials updated

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Why is it so hard for them to post details on what's new... :doubt:

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

you know i asked the same question, i find it odd how they dont provide a change log.

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

yes i to am none the wiser I'm afraid just the messenger

5. raven211

No one is blaming you, Nick, don't worry. :D

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

From what I have seen on their forums it looks like this is just a fixed version of their last update.

7. raven211

Yeah, ever since the release of MSE, I was afraid that the innovations would stop after the initial release, and I was probably right. :doubt:

8. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

What's odd is that this is the old version, they released a newer version about a week or two ago, this is version 1.0.1611.0, a week or so ago they released version 1.0.1959.0. Microsoft needs to get their act together with MSE. They are VERY bad at adding submissions to their database and sending a response when you do submit something.
    :)

9. raven211

It was indeed a great product when it was released for the first time, now it's just going more and more downhill IMHO. :(

10. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I still use it on a few "low risk" computers I look after. I haven't had that many problems with it.

11. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Yeah,
    It looks like this is the only answer at the moment, found on their forum:

Attached Files:

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm not expecting any drastic changes, but would like to know it hen they finally fix the damn updater. Because in a current form, it's a complete rubbish.

13. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Has anybody noticed that yesterday they updated many times the virus definitions. Doing it manually it succesfully updated for at least 4 times during the past 24 hours.

14. osubuck

osubuck Registered Member

I agree that their updater is rubbish... it can go days without updating and the average user would have no idea unless they checked it everyday. Their response to the problem if I remember correctly is that it's not a big deal because it has heuristics... yeaa right. Not to mention the fact you can't opt out of spynet (skynet) unless you do a registry tweak, then they tell you that you lose protection against zero day threats... how convenient is that?

15. mnosteele

OK, here is an odd one, this morning Majorgeeks has a new version of MSE 1.0.1961.0, different and newer than anyone else?
    o_O

16. osubuck

Does anyone else find it strange that Microsoft doesn't provide a changelog? I have never heard of anyone releasing software without letting the users know what's new, improved or fixed, especially with security software. Another terrible decision IMHO.

17. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Just one of the reasons I stopped using it. 2. Updater is flaky 3. slow startup on occasion.

Ice

18. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

try telling that to elapsed :D

19. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I don't work for Microsoft, what do I have to do with it? Just because I don't experience these problems means I'm wrong or something?

20. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Awww come on, it was all said in good fun. Your experience with this product is an envious one for me. I aim for that MSE laden computing bliss, and you are the one experiencing it. Good for you I say.

21. mnosteele

I completely agree, I think it's a great piece of software but I don't know of any other software vendor that updates it's software to a new version without a changelog.

Also, I don't think it's going downhill, just yesterday I was testing it on my test machine against malicious websites, it detected and removed most everything I threw at it, the things it missed I submitted to VirScan and the vast majority of other AV programs didn't detect them as well.
    :)

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'd love all people no have no issues, the more that use it the better it is. Unfortunately that appears not to be the case, but at least it's actively worked on, and the advantages to me are still superior to 3rd party competition. I value OS Integration/API usage pretty highly.

23. osubuck

Yes its actively being worked on, too bad you wont be able to know any of the changes unless you install it for yourself :shifty:

24. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

the sad thing is Windows Defender when it came out was strong just like MSE, now looks like is going down the same road as Windows Defender.

25. osubuck

I guess we will have to wait for the AV-Comparatives results to have some kind of an idea of where this product stands, I honestly hope for the best

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.