Microsoft Security Essentials (firewall rules override)?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pandlouk, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I am currently testing Microsoft security essentials and saw a strange of Windows 7 firewall.

It took me 2 hours to figure out that, when Windows firewall 7 is set in Advanced Security mode (block outbound connections), MSE blocks tcp outgoing packets to remote port 5000 and probably other outgoing and incoming ports. And no info about these hardcoded rules are on microsoft knowledgebase or in the MSE help file .:mad:

Does anyone know how to access MSE firewall rules and how to modify them?

thanks in advance,
    Panagiotis

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. pandlouk

Hi Cudni,

-Thanks. I read it but it does not make much sense in this case.

With Windows Firewall set in default allow outbound mode, communication to remote port 5000 is allowed with MSE realtime on.
    If Windows Firewall is set in block outbound mode, communication to remote port 5000 is blocked with MSE realtime on.
    Creating a rule for the UPnP services only fails.
    Creating a rule for every application fails.
    Creating a rule to allow all outgoing trafic versus the router or versus the whole lan range fail.

No, the pc is clean. A fresh installation for testing the 64bit 7; it's time for me to migrate too.

Panagiotis

edit: ther rules are created and work but windows firewall still blocks the connections.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  4. pandlouk

I finally manged to identify the problem.

MSE does not block port 5000 directly but has a bug that manifests when multiple nics are connected in different type zones. The rules from the different zones seem to merge and there the problems start.

Anyway, I contacted microsoft support about this. Hopefully they'll fix it in the upcoming versions

ps. if one of the mods read this thread can close/lock it.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.