Microsoft Security Essentials 2.1.1116.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nanobot, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

MSE Pros
    Install and forget
    Very few false positives
    Few issues/glitches
    Negligible CPU usage
    Reasonable detection rate

MSE Cons
    High RAM usage
    Only average detection rate
    Unfrequent updates (can be done manually)

2. robinb

robinb Registered Member

for the average user MSE is just fine
    and it will update at least once a day all by itself
    it does pick up nasties
    i have it on all my clients who are beginner users
    i also have it on a few of my business ussers but i have a backup- Superantispyware Pro on all clients wether they are business or consumers. You need a backup to ensure it is doing what it suppose to do. As long as you have backup there is no reason NOT to use MSE.
    On Windows xp, yes i have found it slows the computer down but for Windows 7 I hardly know it is there.
    I feel it was actually created for Windows 7 not xp and for xp you can use Avast free which i do for all my xp users.
    robin

3. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Microsoft will put it on their official site first.
    Microsoft usually waits a few weeks before sending it up through windows updates.
    Microsoft then sends them out in bunches as to not to blog up their servers. So your neighbor might get it but you might not get it for a few more days or weeks.
    This upgrade will show up in windows updates only so make sure you look at your updates and or history depending on how you allow updates to come in periodically.
    I have MSE on 4 of my own computers and have it on about 40 client computers that i maintain but have not seen the upgrade yet.
    For all you know we might not see it for a few more months.
    Micrososft is funny that way. They did the same thing with the prior upgrade of MSE. It took 3months later after they put it up on their main site before I saw it in Windows update
    robin

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Is Microsoft Security Essentials really worth to install? does it do any good job and can be it be relied upon?

5. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Its detection is above average and not very resource friendly.. But you can use it if you pair with any on-demand scanner like Mbam..:)

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Sounds good. I will use and rely on Essentials and Mbam.:thumb:

But you said it's not very resource friendly.. so it slows down and clogs up my system?

7. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

MSE v2 slowed my netbook to a crawl.

8. Kernelwars

It has high RAM usage but IME the cpu usage is low.. It depends how responsive you like your system to be.. :) But MSE with MBAM should cover your malware concern...are you using windows firewall? ..how comfortable are u using HIPS?:)

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What the hell is this program doing? I installed it, it's updated, and yet my hard drive keeping going on and on and on. What's it doing? I already did a scan, it completed...but the hard drive light never stops since I installed MSE.

What's it doing for goodness sake? Does the hard drive ever stop?:blink:

10. Kernelwars

after u install it does a system scan I think:doubt:

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Change real-time to incoming only, which scans new files instead of everything. The thing I dislike about MSE is that it has no cache of scans, therefore re-scanning the same things over and over.

12. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

It did that already, came up clean and "FINISHED"...but my hard drive hasn't stopped since. It keeps lighting up the hard drive light, so what the hell is it doing now?

I am uninstalling it, I hate programs which access the hard drive constantly and non stop.:thumbd:

I'll stick to using ClamWin, Hitman PRO and MBAM. At least then my hard drive is being accessed every second.

13. Kernelwars

did u try panda cloud?:D

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What is panda cloud? And why use that instead of something else?

And dont cloud program constantly access the internet and chew up my bandwidth quota?

And Panda Cloud costs money, right? The free version is rather useless and very limited, right?

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

That seems to be a problem with the Microsoft Security Engine products. Even Windows Defender seems to use a high amount of RAM via svchost.exe when it is running. I don't know what causes that issue but I have noticed it on all my machines. However it has seem to have gotten better when compared to older versions.

16. rseiler

rseiler Registered Member

Offhand, do you know of some products that do cache, apart from Avast?

On MSE CPU usage, which a couple people mentioned earlier, I think MSE is relatively high, "relatively" being the key word. On a modern machine, it probably is going to seem negligible--like essentially anything run on such a machine. On a machine from, say, mid-decade, many of which are XP machines to this day, in terms of cumulative CPU time it's pretty much a pig as compared to something like Avira, Avast (no behavior shield), or NOD32 2.7. Just like NAV2011 is a relative CPU pig on such hardware despite its reputation for being light. And this is NOT counting CPU time accrued with scheduled scans, which I disable. I don't think it's XP as much as the type of machine that XP is normally on.

Has anyone found MSE to be slower in XP on a modern machine that dual-boots with W7? That is, you have it installed in both places? That's one thing I haven't tried, but if it still takes more CPU time there (not that it's enough for anyone to notice on a fast machine), then there's more to this than just the speed of the machine. Maybe MSE really is inherently shoddy on XP regardless of hardware.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Panda, AVG, and almost every other modern antivirus.

18. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  19. Jose_Lisbon

I've used MSE for the best part of the last two years and never noticed such behaviour.
    Did you have another real time security program on when you installed MSE?
    Which AVs have you used lately and how did you uninstalled them?

20. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Do you know if this applies for WinXP as well? Thanks

21. Jose_Lisbon

I have only used MSE on Vista and 7. I know it is compatible with XP but I'm not aware of what issues there may be.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  22. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I have a netbook with windows 7 starter running MSE and there is no slowage
    at all
    robin

23. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Yes
    I do not like it for WinXP. There it slows down the computer and uses a lot of ram. Use Avast Free instead
    robin

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This is the reason I will not use it. It shows no indication of what it is doing but it will sit there and scan. I had a 3GB .iso file on my machine and it sat there and scanned it forever. I had to use Process Explorer to see what was causing the hard drive to go non stop for all of that time. :thumbd:

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yeah I hate that! Once I installed MSE, my hard drive light never stopped, and I hate that. It kept going and going..even after a scan was complete, and even after all updates were installed...MSE just kept accessing my hard drive forever.....so annoying. No idea what it's doing because I didn't tell it to keep scanning my HDD 24.7, so it should STOP accessing my HDD.

Bye bye MSE, I uninstalled it and won't be using it again!:thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.