Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0 Final

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nanobot, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks for good news [​IMG]
    Downloading now...

2. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

thx for update and screens

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

yup,done exactly that.........in office now,will see how it works when i get back:D

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Still no way to disable useless and resource wasting real-time archive scanning.
    I'll try but probably pass it till they add this. It makes MSE useless for Atom based systems with slower HDD's like netbooks and nettops.

5. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Still takes forever to show icons with a folder full of exe files. Why isn't this fixed in V.2 :thumbd:

Oh well, maybe in V.3, i'll stick with my red umbrella 'till this is fixed. I really like MSE, pity.

6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm running MSE v1 on Win7/64. Tried upgrading to v2, but got error message. Uninstalled v1, ran fresh install of v2, got error message again....................

An error prevented Security Essentials wizard from completing successfully.
    Error Code 0x80070643

Any ideas what the heck is going on?

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Search Engine + "0x80070643 mse"= possible solutions ;)
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com...t/thread/6e32fbe4-da39-460b-b27b-05018c937a39

8. gazs1

gazs1 Registered Member

found a conflict with defensewall, mse says eicar has been cleaned but it is downloaded, with hips disabled eicar is cleaned properly, same if in sandboxie, have posted on defensewall forum, on xpsp3.

9. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

it seems to be memory intensive.............takes some time to boot now,even with only comodo fw along side it.....

10. JoakimM

JoakimM Registered Member

"I want the product to have this, I want the product to have that, I want to be able to disable A when situation X occurs, it is useless because it does not do or have this and that..."

Just my own personal reflection: perhaps it is time to remember who the product is aimed for, the majority of computer users who has little or no understanding of anti-malware apps and in general do not care about such things. They often want a simple, no fuzz leave it and forget app that handles malware. That is what MSE is all about, at least according to Microsoft Forums, and I believe it should be looked at from such an angle.
    There is a vast field of very good products out there in which users CAN go in-depth and change basically everything, it is therefore unfair to compare the functions of MSE with said products. MSE is in my opinion very good at doing what it is meant for, basic protection and let us not forget it, it is free to use.

Regards,
    J

11. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

has anyone confirmed that this is indeed final and not just a beta release? Microsoft definitely added some nice/much needed features as well. yet it's still simple to use. :) I put MSE version 1 on my girlfriend's laptop and she loves it. It automatically updates and scans and she can understand the interface easily.

12. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

That is correct JoakimM, Microsoft aims at 95% of all users. Which is why MSE will eat market share like it was actually making a profit! ;) I think it is great they listened to complaints about being most stupid AV ever regarding activity. Like it was hard to ignore. Less annoying to hear so many declare it lightest and fastest ever, heh. Decent now.

13. gery

gery Registered Member

correct Joakim
    i agree with you with the fact that the target group for MSE is the type of people that have no idea of such things. So the rest should not use MSE if they know it will not meet their inquiries

14. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

according to this
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-Microsoft-Security-Essentials-MSE-2-0-RTM-173299.shtml
    this is the rtm version

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So if "scan archive files" under the settings tab is unchecked the archive files are scanned real time anyway? If so, is the settings tab just for on demand scans?

thanks

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks for posting screen shots.

Anyone see a link to an official change log?

17. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

That particular setting applies to on demand scans only. Not the same for all other options.

18. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Well this is still my main complaint against MSE, apart from the red-at-boot thing. I have changed real time protection to check incoming files only and this has solved the archive/exe scanning issue though I understand its a compromise on security. What I don't get is that if they really want to keep this feature intact, then why do they not have a persistent caching mechanism in place?

19. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

20. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Are you using Win 7? I found a workaround for that which involved changing a service from delayed start to automatic. I think it was Security Center. It worked.

21. Warklen

Warklen Registered Member

I must say v2 is running real nice and fast on my system. No complaints so far

22. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Have a problem with the GUI. When I try to close the GUI, half of it remains behind. Can't use it.

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Hasn't happened yet. I just checked.

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I can wait until the general release. It will probably be soon anyway. I just hope they maintain the quality & standard of the #1 series.

25. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

The "general" release is currently on the MSE site.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.