Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0 (Morro MSE Free Anti-Virus)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BrendanK., Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Someone apparently got a leaked download of MSE. Anyway some screens:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/microsoft-security-essentials.JPG

http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/microsoft-security-essentials-version.JPG

http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/microsoft-security-essentials-settings.JPG

This is a warning to all: I do not recommend downloading it from anywhere. You never know with these pre-releases with bugs etc, and you can never tell who uploaded it. Best to be safe and wait till September.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You can test it safely using VMWare, VirtualBox or VirtualPC.

To be honest, i kinda like the interface and if detection will remain to be as good and even better than it was now, i think this thing might get quite popular.

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Wait, what? I'm getting confused. :D This thing really isn't released yet, right? :D

EDIT: Oh, oh, I'm downloading this thing! :D :D

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Some observations from the screenshots...
    I see the definitions are for virus and spyware detection.
    The design doesn't look too bad.

I agree with 333halfevil on waiting to try it.

5. raven211

It's available - just go to the MyDigitalLife homelink and scroll down. ;) From what I've seen so far, it'll suspend low-risk threats like HotBar till you decide you want to clean them - this is all up to you. The tray-icon is ugly IMO, but the overall interface and icons except for that one look great. :)

EDIT: Good lord! Just setting MSE to some predefined action by yourself for a threat category makes it fail. It's terribly slow in taking action and seems somewhat heavy.

The worst thing is there's no support or forum to be found as it's leaked. :(

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  6. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

A bigger screenshot escapade is available on Download Squad:
    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/0...ty-essentials-morro-leaked-here-it-is-in-act/

There are also links to the leaked bit torrent in the comments section ( Hint: IsoHunt & Minnova )

7. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Haha. This is only meant to be released in September, that is why there's no support.

My advice above was for novices who want to install it on their main PC, not us testers :D

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  9. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Good post there Chubb, the forum has a lot of screenshots.

For a beta, not much to say but it's very slick product.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Im wondering weither with the right options you could use it along side another antivirus product?
    untick monitor all system and file file activity and just have scan all downloaded files option ticked?
    isnt that what defender does? scans all files on download?

11. simisg

simisg Registered Member

eicar test passed.... but i don't know from the interface what protect is very minimal.... waiting for full version

12. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I will test this with a small sampling of malware I have and report back later.

Ice

13. 2good

2good Guest

you could downloaded from Remove malware.com someone posted a link for it I tried it but locked up my pc like you wont believe it tried to uninstall in safe mode but it does not work in safe mode , anyway rebooted and used revo uninstaller .now thank God I have avast and everything is back to normal.

14. raven211

Yes, the continous risk of beta software. :rolleyes: You have any day what could have conflicted with it? Some beta software simply doesn't suit some PCs. I think mine had troubles with Security 360 in the end.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft Preps Security Essentials Beta for Tuesday

16. raven211

LOL at Dave Coles' post about shareware and freeware - they're obviously scared of the competition. MSE is already running smooth and quiet here on my PC.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Nice clen GUI.

18. IceCube1010

With the limited test I did, it cleaned about 80% compared to Avira 100%. This by no means is any indication of how good or bad it is. I will tell you this, I really like the slick interface and the popups that are displayed when a baddie is found. I think this could be a contender in the Free AV/AM market. :thumb:

Ice

19. simisg

simisg Registered Member

in real time protection says monitor file and program activity is this bahavior or proactive protection or not?

20. raven211

Sounds good enough to me - pretty damn awesome to be honest, considering this is before the official BETA is released. :D

21. IceCube1010

It's definitely a polished product. I have it running on my XP Pro and Vista Home PC's. I'm also using SBIE to surf and OA Pro so I feel secure using it. It will take alot to pry me from Avira PE but so far so good.

Ice

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

23. IceCube1010

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Paul provides good information. MSE sounds like it may become the best free AV. It will be nice to have a free product that doesn't nag or advertise a Pro version, require registration, etc. There is only the matter of OS validation, but that shouldn't be a problem for most users.

25. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I agree with raven211, the systray icon is really ugly :ouch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.