Microsoft SBS and multiple interfaces

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by connected3d, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. connected3d

connected3d Registered Member

Firstly I would like say that Look 'n Stop is one of those little software gems out there. The app is small in size and memory footprint, super robust and always works. Great stuff! :D Well done to the developers.

Right so having this much joy on my home PC at home lead me to think how about deploying Look 'n Stop on my Windows SBS 2003 server at work. I'm really irretated with Microsoft ISA and Window built-in firewall that comes with SBS. It's true to Microsoft style... unstable, large installation, consumes loads of memory, crashes a lot etc... list goes on :doubt:

So I do not need much on my SBS box, just good ol' low level firewalling like Look 'n Stop. But here's my question. I have two network interfaces on my SBS box. One external and one internal. In today's world we know attacks can happen from inside a network just as much as from outside. So I noticed on my home installation of Look 'n Stop that I cannot select more than one interface. In essence what I would like to do is firewall my internal interface with it's on set of rules and firewall my outside interface with its own rules.

Is this possible?

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Thanks a lot for your appreciation ;)

You can start two instances of Look 'n' Stop, each one working on a different interface and having its own settings and ruleset.
    The application filtering is active only for the 1st instance.

The second instance has to be started with the "-mult1" switch on the command line.

It is not a frequent use of Look 'n' Stop, so I'm not sure any problem has been discovered yet when running 2 (or more) instances, but currently, there is no open issue.
    One recommendation is you should never select the same network interface in both instances. This could cause some troubles.
    Also it is better to manually select the network interfaces, instead of using the automatic selection.

Regards,

Frederic.

3. connected3d

Hi Frederic

Thank you for the quick reply. This is great news :D Cheerz ISA. Another quick question. Regarding licensing. Do I require two Look 'n Stop licenses if I use the "-mult1" option?

BR,
    Quinton

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Quinton,

No, you don't require another license.
    It's one license per machine where Look 'n' Stop is installed.

Regards,

Frederic

5. connected3d

Great thanks for the help Frederic.

BR,
    Quinton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.