Microsoft Safety Scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Legendkiller, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@ Legendkiller... thanks for posting this. :thumb:

FYI screenshots below. Very minimal GUI, for sure.
    A quick scan took 16 minutes on my system.
    By comparison, MBAM, Hitman Pro and VIPRE scans all take about 3 minutes.
    I'm not complaining, just reporting back.
    I may run the full scan, but I'm a bit worried what the tool does if it finds something... does it give the user the option to act on the file, or does it go for auto-removal? I'm obviously concerned about ANY auto-removal action.
    YMMV. :)

MS Safety Scanner.jpg
    MS Safety Scan II.jpg

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@Page42: It gives an option to clean or leave stuffs found.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Q. Does the Microsoft Safety Scanner include all of the definitions included in the Malicious Software Removal Tool?
    A. Yes, at the time of download, the Microsoft Safety Scanner will include the same target families as the Malicious Software Removal Tool. However, the Microsoft Safety Scanner includes more than specifically targeted prevalent malicious software.

Q. Does the Malicious Software Removal Tool include definitions that are not included in the Microsoft Safety Scanner?
    A. No, although if the timing is such that additional targeted families or variants were added to the Malicious Software Removal Tool after the download of the Microsoft Safety Scanner, those families or variants would obviously not be in the already downloaded Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Q. In terms of detection and removal, does the Microsoft Safety Scanner offer what the Malicious Software Removal Tool offers?
    A. The Malicious Software Removal Tool has specific malicious targets whereas the Microsoft Safety Scanner targets not only the same specifically targeted malicious programs as the Malicious Software Removal Tool, but also targets the same viruses, spyware, and other malicious software included in Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Forefront.

Q. Do users need both the Microsoft Safety Scanner and Malicious Software Removal Tool?
    A. The simple answer is No. In point of fact, if you are using Microsoft Security Essentials as your antivirus product, you theoretically do not need either the Microsoft Safety Scanner or the Malicious Software Removal Tool. However, there are instances where, for one reason or another, there is a problem updating MSE or the need to clean a computer that does not have Internet access. Another valuable use of these tools is if your computer has a virus that your current antivirus software missed or is unable to remove.

Source

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Do you know that from reading it somewhere or from personal use, or what?

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

From personal use...!!! It detected a PUP in one of my softwares after full scan and let me decide.

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

This software seems to have some bugs if that is not my system specific. The customized scan doesn't work, instead full scan starts.

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

It does work, it runs the "quick scan" in addition to scanning the
    folder that you selected. Thats by default.

Bo

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Ohh! I see, but it shows "running full scan"...o_O

btw, it does remove threats automatically after a scan :thumbd: but for PUPs it shows options.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@sg09... thanks for reporting back.
    Sounds more like the MRT.
    Anybody else care to weigh in?

11. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

Thread necromancy.

In case everyone hadn't noticed it yet, Safety Scanner seems to automatically remove some files it detects as malware, without asking the user anything. It would seem that "questionable" stuff that MS would classify as hacktools or potentially unwanted software or adware are not automatically removed, but serious threats like trojans are removed without asking the user. Considering all the usual AV false positives, some folks might find that an unpleasant surprise. Perhaps something to consider.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

MSE has very low false positives (especially unlikely to ruin Windows), but I agree there should be a choice on what to do with detections.

13. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I noticed this also. Fortunately Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper doesn't do this.

14. desertjon

desertjon Registered Member

I agree...68+ MB every 10 days is silly and a waste of time..but Im not surprised coming from Microsoft...Someday Microsoft will get it right..lol

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Not surprised, because it comes from Microsoft? o_O You do realize Microsoft isn't the only one providing such kind of tool, which you need fully redownload?

You got Kaspersky, GFI/Sunbelt, Norman, etc. Kaspersky's tool is maybe above 100 MB, for example. I think GFI is +100 MB as well.

I'm not saying this is a good approach, though. Just saying Microsoft isn't alone, and it's not because it's Microsoft that it's doing it like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.