Microsoft releases beta 2 of Internet Explorer 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Thanks ron :)

The release notes are now available along with download

download
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta/

release notes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288472(VS.85).aspx

Internet Explorer 8: Launch videos

* Overview
    * Launch Videos

Got a few minutes? Join members of the product management team to see what’s new and exciting in Internet Explorer 8. Whether you’re a consumer, developer, or IT Pro, we’ve got a demo for you.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta/launch-videos.aspx

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

looks like some nice improvements.
    may image and have a quick test tomorrow

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm currently trying it myself, IMHO it's good enough for daily use with the exception of a low number of websites. The tab isolation alone is worth using it, and their version of the "awesome bar" is a lot better in my opinion. If they keep going in the direction they are with further editions of IE, Mozilla may start to sweat a little eventually (though admittedly MS has a ways to go before that happens). I think MS finally learned their lesson, but we'll see when final comes and it has a few months under its belt of use. I would like to see the amount of processes lowered and some memory use lessened though.

5. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Suggest you backup before trying!
    Installs over the top of the previous version.

In my case,serious freeze of all functions when exiting the add on bar, which couldnt be solved except by a SP restore.

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Too many problems. Had to roll back to IE7.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I also suggest backup, which brings me to another criticism: Why completely remove a fully functional and STABLE browser to install IE8? In all honesty I'm sure they could have "unhooked" it from Windows enough to allow for a separate install (did they?), after all every other browser on the market works in that manner. Perhaps I don't know enough, but this seems to be one lesson MS doesn't get, don't hook your browser so deeply into the OS. They'd save themselves MUCH criticism if they would heed that warning if no other. It would save on patches too.

8. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Doubt this in view of all the interdependencies and interlocking.

My gripe is that usually a Beta 2 is more trouble free .

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

B1 had "IE7 Emulate" button and IE8B2 can also emulate IE6. But it can not be turn on or off now, it only detects broken pages, which have to be added one by one to compatibility view, so in a way, it is a step back. So far I hate the blue backround instead of clean white and disgusting colourfull tabs, such a pity, that it can not be turned off. Also the old tabs looked better, now they are all like in one line, no wonder they added colours. Otherwise, it definitelly loads faster, even with ADs allowed, IE7Pro can not block them, unless in compatibility view. Well, at least showing command bar at startup has been fixed. I have mixed feelings. :doubt:

EDIT: Well, luckily this colourfoull garbage can be turn off bud disabling "Group Tabs", but with that blue backround it looks like Firefox now. :cautious:

EDIT 2: They have added a blibking cursor, unbelievable, not just it is disturbing eyes, clicking mouse on a webpage make it scroll to that location. o_O

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It for sure needs a lot of work. I certainly don't want to emulate IE6 :) I actually like the tabs myself, though yes the color thing confused me for the first few go'rounds. The background really isn't a big thing for me as I honestly don't pay attention to it. This "blinking cursor", I don't have it? Either I'm lost or it's some sort of bug I've not seen yet. I'm sure the IE7Pro issues will get fixed by their devs when IE8 gets a little more "final". It's an overall well-performing update, and one that's been sorely needed for way too long, but it's far from perfect.

11. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

______________________________COMPARATIVE______________________________

Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP :

Download Size : 14.7 Mb ( English ) ; 14.1 Mb ( German )

Estimated Download Time ( Dial-up 56 k ) : 36 min (English ) ; 35 min ( German ).

Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 for Windows XP :

Download Size : 15.9 Mb ( English ) ; 16 Mb ( German )

Estimated Download Time ( Dial-up 56 k ) : 39 min .

- Faster ?... I beg your pardon ?... I get a moment's sleep ...

PS. My color preference : light blue, light blue-green, light amethyst !... Eyes of my wife .

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Interesting bug, when I try to paste anything to address bar, IE crashed immidietely. That will not help my Vista's reliability score, which was already low. :rolleyes:

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Umm, faster=startup time and/or rendering speed, not how long it takes to download the application, lol.

The_TOM_SK, I don't have Vista, so maybe it's a bug there. I called a few people who also are testing out IE8 and it's the same with them (they are all XP users though, keep in mind. Very few in my neck of the woods have taken the Vista bite).

14. PROROOTECT

Hello ,

OK., which horse is more quickly going to run : that skinny which weighs 14.1 Mb , or that heavy which weighs 16 Mb ?

Skinny horse or heavy horse ?:doubt:

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  15. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

My experience has been that even a GA release that ends in dot-zero is still beta.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

IEBlog

17. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Maybe Demoneye will weigh in on this pressing issue. :isay:

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well my opinion is that determining speed by how much a program ways is faulty. And, just for entertainment purposes, a difference of 14.1 and 16 makes no difference whatsoever in the speed of a horse, it's leg strength and just plain will that determines a horse race :)

19. PROROOTECT

Hello everybody,

#Espresso , dw426 :

Thanks for your answers; I have NO horse in the home ( we do not want it, either me or my wife )- then I do not know the horses enough ...
    That I know : what means heavier or less heavy ...

My file of I.E. 7 in Program Files : to carry weight 2.33 Mb .
    Page of my I.E. : without web-site ,Use Memory = 20988 Kb ; with site ( Wilders, one page ) :Use Memory = 28436 Kb ...

We shall see these figures with I.E. 8, but not right away ...

http://www.itworld.com/internet/54575/privacy-feature-internet-explorer-8-leaks-private-data&prev=/
    Goood ... Shocking ?...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  20. PROROOTECT

21. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I disagree. The jockey's determine what horses will win. No jockey, fastest horse will win every time.
    As for horse size and winning, I might mention Seabiscuit 15 hands, War Admiral 18 hands, Seabiscuit wins by four lengths.

No I'll stick to FF3. Besides, I have xpsp3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.