Microsoft Patch Tuesday & Windows Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yes, ultimately you have to ask yourself what's worse, the various threats being mitigated by patches, or the damage that could possibly be done by a bad update.

My track record with MS High Priority or Critical updates has been excellent... excellent to the point of scary. Things aren't supposed to go this good for this long. :eek:
    And it's this long run of success that has coaxed me away from the practice of waiting to let the patches "season" before installing them. At one time I think I actually used to create full system images before Patch Tuesday, just in case something went sideways on me. But I have grown lazy and careless in my ways. o_O

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Sure, all is down to personal preferences and to what you're used to and last but not least what is your experience. My approach is to keep balance, so whilst installing updates immediately upon they are released is questionable waiting with updates a few days is also pointless. Hence giving a couple of hours to hear from users their feedback.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I don't see any wrong in any form of Windows Update routine that one uses. I've been on all 4 of the options at different times and I survived. Different scenarios require different routines...there's no 1 size fits all.

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

What I do is similar I disable Windows Update and turn BITS to manual 30 days out of 31.

A day or so after patch tuesday I go to the forums and look for news on bad MS update (IE 10 being a current issue for some notebooks). Then I image my system.

Then I turn on the update service and the BITS and check for the updates.

Always offers me stuff I don't want so I select and download and install.

Then reboot, clean up the register etc then disable update again for another month.

Some will say what about the out of cycle emergency updates? Well I will hear about it here research it and decide if it their emergency or mine. :D

5. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I'll join the chorus. Same procedure you described, Escalader.
    But I do disable BITS for 30.75 days :) and only turn it back to Manual, then start it the day I want to run the patches along with starting the updater service. Now that I think of it, I do need to permit OUT for the updater, svchost, and IE in the firewall so before twiddling services I enable those rules which sat disabled for 30.75 days since my firewalls do not have time restrictions on applications.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

On XP Pro SP3: I have Automatic Updating, BITS, and DCOM all disabled. So I have to set AU & DCOM to Auto & Start them, and BITS to manual, no need to start as it'll start itself. I have Cryptographic Services manual, which also starts when needed.

I have to remove my block rules for both svchost.exe & IE. And remove the fake proxy (0.0.0.0) I have set up in my Internet Options in the Control Panel.

Also have to toggle a setting in Group Policy, and my Trusted Publishers settings in Local Policy, and add IE to my whitelist in SRP as well.

Only then can I update Windows. I do so, reboot, change all that stuff back to the way it was. Then I shut down my box, router & modem overnight that night. Boot er up in the morning, cleanup/defrag. Then I'm good for another 30 days.

I update everything that day to get it all done in one fell swoop. Because that fake proxy also has to be removed to update Flash Player & Sandboxie. I usually wait until the following Monday after Patch Tuesday to do it, for the reasons brought up. The only exception is that I will update Flash Player immediately if there's a vulnerability that applies specifically to me. Otherwise I'll just wait and update it along with everything else.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I always install Windows Updates manually, I did it today on XP SP3 and 3 updates were available.

I do it manually since when I used automatic around 3 years ago it always started to updated at a bad time when (I) did NOT want to update, I wanted to do it a little later and not in the middle of something, therefore doing it manually is the best way to go. And you can also see what updates that's available of course :thumb:

8. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

I manually update my Windows 7 pc. My settings is "Check for updates but let me choose wether to download and install them" and when I have a notice I decline and check here at Wilders first. I check and see what I need via the updates section and make a system image prior manual update. Well I just checked also and my settings for Windows Update is now "Automatic" from "Check for updates but let me choose wether to download and install them". Am thinking since last month to just select "Never..." and just do it manually (download it from Microsoft) since I always check here first prior manually updating it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.