Microsoft Outlook 2013 alternatives

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jo3blac1, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

2. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Okay guys, just to update things. I have now installed eM Client and I am running it along with Outlook 2013. One thing that impresses me is that eM Client can actually start with windows and minimized to the tray :)
    We will see how it compares for more serious tasks but thank you everyone in here for throwing in suggestions.
    Again, I will always refuse yearly fees for software.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It appears that eM Client is independently developed, and this product (the pro version) is licensed by SoftMaker for inclusion into their office suite. So yes, eM Client is the same product that comes with SoftMaker Office, but they are separate companies.

4. operamail

operamail Registered Member

I don't know about u, but Thunderbird would be my choice!

5. jo3blac1

So do they develop it and update it separately? Or is eM Client the developer and the major source of update for SoftMaker?

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

eM Client is the developer and major source of update for SoftMaker :)

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

And Softmaker is the provider for AShampoo Office. So i wonder, could it be that we will soon see "Ashampoo EmClient"? :D With the usual "offers" that come free from Ashampoo, sooner or later they will giveaway the program. Wishful thinking, but you never know! :D

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

How come an email client never found its way into the Open/Libre office suite after all these years I wonder? Even if it was a thunderbird based fork, would seem to make sense to have one in the bundle.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I know, I can't believe that either. I used to wait and wait for that years ago, but I finally realized it would never happen. You'd think it would...

11. jo3blac1

They basically simply told all of their users to use Thunderbird and that is it.

12. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

Another suggestion since you like Outlook is, go to the ebay web site and purchase the 2010 version that has Outlook included. I purchased MS Office 2010 Professional there last summer from what they call a trusted seller at a reasonable price and I didn't have any problems. It arrived still in it's shrink wrap, just like new. Just thought I would suggest this.

13. jo3blac1

Okay testing Thunderbird now. I have to say Im quite impressed. It's not what it used to be years ago.

14. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Good choice, although not riddled with bells & whistles, it works as advertised. Support: https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging

15. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Ridiculous. Subscription style lowers the appeal for me.

16. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

If you like Office, work for a non-profit (like Hospitals. most schools), and have a valid email addy from that facility you may want to check to see if the company is part of the MSFT Home Use program (you can get Office 2013 for 9.95USD),

Go here:

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx?culture=en-US

Click on the "I don't know the Program code" link and plug in your email address on the page that comes up. If all is good to go you will get an email with further instructions.

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Back when I used to work for the state I would get the offer and just have to pay shipping, although that was like $20~. I would get the enterprise version or whatever it's called...had MS Office 2003 and 2007...to this day 2003 remains one of my more favorite office suites.

18. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

With the current offer they just email you the Serial and include a download link to the Program- but at least no shipping!

19. jo3blac1

Exactly, I will stick with Microsoft Office 2010. As for Outlook 2013, I already stopped using it and Im testing Mozilla Thunderbird. I just utterly and with my entire heart hate rentware.

20. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Off-topic posts removed. Let it go people.

21. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Thunderbird is cross platforms and pretty damn good.

i guess it's pretty much the standard these days.

22. jo3blac1

Just to keep everyone updated. I like to test several products for awhile ~ usually 1-3 weeks.
    So far I tried the following:
    1) Microsoft Outlook 2013 - didn't like it for the licensing issues, that's why this thread started. No way to start Outlook minimized....
    2) eM Client - works OK with few quirks, UI seems less intuitive and the button to spread eM Client to your friends was popping into my eye and annoying me.
    3) Thunderbird - works well, much better UI
    4) Opera Email - probably the fastest email client, best UI. But also no way to start Opera minimized in the system tray.

23. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Did you try creating a shortcut for Outlook, opening the properties for the shortcut, and then in the "Run" list change it from "Normal window" to "Minimized"?
    That should work for most programs.

24. jo3blac1

Yeah I did that. It works but that's now what I want. I want a program to start minimized in the tray without it running in the taskbar.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Right click on the Outlook tray icon and click "Hide When minimized". That will make it only show in the taskbar when it is not minimized. I know none of this fixes the licensing gripes but you should be able to achieve the other things you want it to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.