Microsoft Outlook 2003 question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I am using Microsoft's Outlook 2003 for my email and noticed that in the file menu, there is something called Archive. Since I don't want Outlook to take a bunch of space on my computer for archiving... is there anyway to disable this feature or is it needed? If it is needed for the program itself to function properly... then does anyone know if it will eventually take up a lot of hard drive space on my computer?

Thanks, I attached a screenshot to show what option I am talking about.

Gracie

Attached Files:

2. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Hi gracie, this is only manual archive. If you don't click it Outlook don't archive anything. If you don't want to waste space you must disable the automatic one in Tools -> Option -> Other

3. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi, oh ok I see. Well thank you for your help :)

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Gracie,

I believe that "Archive" is to keep OutLook from becoming bloated. It doesn't use extra space, it just moves the data / old msg's somewhere else. If you keep OutLook slim i.e. don't save |Sent Msg's| keep every msg you receive... you really don't need to archive. Microsoft has a BackUp utility for OutLook:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;238782

hth,

...screamer

5. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

My pleasure, gracie.
    Like said screamer you can use the backup utility for Outlook or another little utility: Fab's autobackup (simply and no install needed). You can find it here:
    http://fabs.dyndns.org/autobackup/index-en.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.