[Microsoft]New Antimalware Engine is planned for release on 18 May 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Thanks. :thumb:

3. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

If they come with relatively good engine (which should not be a problem taking in account their resources), they'll introduce a lot of troubles to the third party security. The only reason I see for them not to do it until now is some enigmatic marketing.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You didn't read the part that says "regular" did you? They do this monthly.

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

This is great news. Thanks for posting this Ron!

7. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I have failed to recognize what you tried to say, sorry. Could you be more specific? (I blame rather my poor English than yours) :)

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

He's just pointing out that they update their antimalware engine/technology on a regular basis.....

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Ah, I see. Though, I still do not understand why they didn't come yet with the killing antimalware product. They introduced a lot of great and complex technologies, so the explanation may be any but a lack of cleverness.

10. elapsed

Their business products have cloud components which are strong, I assume it's something they have planned for MSE's future.

11. SMPRICESOLUTIONS

SMPRICESOLUTIONS Registered Member

Source can be found here under Dynamic Signature Service

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
  12. elapsed

I'm aware of this and it wasn't what I meant but thanks for letting the readers know.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I wonder what m00nbl00d would think.

14. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

15. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

How did the New 50mb+ Antimalware Engine update go for you guys?

16. elapsed

Engine updates always re-download the definition database, but it went fine.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

:ouch:

What do you think about it? You use MSE, correct? Say what you're thinking. :p

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You're the one that clearly dislikes MSE's update method. Would be far more interesting if you comment on that.

I find it good news as usual.

19. m00nbl00d

What does one thing have to do with the other? I talked about MSE being tied to Windows Update. And that was another thread.

Some like, some don't... That's life. Why would you bring something related to that up again? What's the gain? Wasn't that talked to death?

Your reply to the other user mentioning you'd like to know what I think about Dynamic Signature Service (When that was never really my discussion.) is just a complete nonsense.

But, anyway... I appreciate the compliment. :rolleyes:

-edit-

But, you obviously are thinking about something, related to Dynamic Signature Service, otherwise you wouldn't bring me into this discussion... I think?

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It does seem related, because both are signature update services for MSE. If you don't want to talk about it, that's fine with me.

21. m00nbl00d

Talk about what exactly? About the Dynamic Signature Service? I'm all for features that help millions of people be safer on the Internet.

If it does what it does, that's tremendous. One more feature fighting the bad guys.

You already know I dislike the fact MSE is tied to Windows Update. So...? Is there really anything else to discuss about MSE and Windows Update (how they're tied together)?

If you'd like to keep discussing it, go ahead... Just don't expect me to keep talking the same all over again.

As I said, you already know what I think about MSE + Windows Update. The way I see it, this discussion is a dead end.

22. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Why would you dislike MSE's integration with windows update?

23. m00nbl00d

Hello there,

I don't dislike MSE's integration with Windows Update. I dislike how such is done. I dislike that, if I have Windows Update either set to manually check for updates or download them, but not apply them, MSE malware definitions won't be automatically applied.

But, it turns out that malware definitions also come to Windows Update as optional updates. Not as important or critical. For many people, antimalware apps are critical apps. That includes malware definitions.
    Can you see the irony? An antivirus/antimalware application, which relies on signatures to protect users, to have malware definitions updates in Windows Update, and as optional updates?

Who on this Earth (within Microsoft) came with the lousy idea?

MSE will only apply such malware definitions updates automatically after 24 hours. Again, who on this Earth (within Microsoft) came with such lousy idea?

So, to have it automatically download and install malware definitions updates as soon as they're available the user has to schedule a task. For that, the user needs to know Windows has a task scheduler, what it is and how to do it. Worse, the user has to be aware that MSE won't automatically apply malware definitions updates as soon as they're available. It will do it only 24 hours later. Lame... lame... lame.

Then, if you prefer to have Windows Update service disabled, and rather download each update you need manually from Microsoft's web site, MSE won't update, at all.

That's the whole picture how MSE update mechanism works. In a very stupid way.

Some agree with Microsoft's choice, other's don't. I don't. End of story.

I just wanted to give the short story.

Regards

24. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

m00nbl00d, this really seems odd to me.

My wife and I both run XP Pro SP3.

Before I had set a "task" on each of our systems to update without having to do so manually, I could swear that MSE updated itself despite the fact that I have "Automatic Updates" (in "Security Center") set to ask me before it downloads and installs updates. (Have always had this setting, going back to before using MSE.)

For the life of me, I can't recall that MSE didn't update itself and even odder that I wouldn't have noticed. (Though the truth is that I manually updated a lot so I'm hesitant to make a definitive statement.)

Anybody else here that can confirm or deny this experience?

(Disclaimer: My post is simply an attempt to find out the facts and is not intended to cast doubt on any other poster's comments or to slight anyone's feelings. I don't play that game.)

25. m00nbl00d

Hello there Blues7,

Since day one I've been running MSE updates via a scheduled task. So, I cannot say whether or not that's what happens.

What I mentioned was based on what other users have mentioned. I don't think they were lying. I don't think they would have any reasons to say such, if it weren't true.

But, MSE will update automatically each 24 hours. Perhaps, that's what you have experienced? But, according to others, it won't automatically apply malware definitions updates as soon as they are available*. The alternatives are manual updates, hack the registry or scheduled task, to always have the latest malware definitions, that otherwise would only be available each 24 hours.

* Those updates arrive to Windows Update as Optional updates, according to some users. Windows Update doesn't automatically install those. The user needs to install by him/herself.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.