Microsoft .NET Framework

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

As a result of a rather minor program needing MS .NET Framework, I installed it.

There is 796 MB on the listed 6 items which vary from versions 1 to 4. Also there is Microsoft Visual C+, 8 items varying from versions 2005 to 2010 and accounting for 55 MB - I don`t know where this came from. Is it included in MS.NET ?

Since this installation, my PC has slowed down significantly.

I do not really need all this MS .NET or Visual stuff. To delete all these superfluous programs in the normal way looks formidable, 14 program items and if a reboot is needed after every one, the time involved may be more than I have left in life.

My experience of uninstalling is that residue is left behind. I tend to consider Revo Uninstaller rather than the normal Windows method in order to clean out registry left-over rubbish.

I am aware that MS .NET and Visual do no harm and are more than likely beneficial in future terms, but I am sure they HAVE slowed my PC down significantly and do not wish to have this huge MB addition to my hard drive if I do not need them.

My OS is Windows XP Home 2002, SP3 with 1 GB of RAM.

Is Microsoft .NET Framework beneficial or unnecessary ? Does it really slow a PC down ? Is uninstalling a problem ?

Your comments will be gratefully appreciated.

2. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

It's totally unnecessary in XP. .NET 4 will definitely make startups take forever in XP. Once in a while I'll run across software that won't work without it, but I can always find something just as good or better that doesn't need it. All the default programs installed with XP work fine without it. It's worth the time uninstalling it, especially 4. Most of the leftovers will be in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET.

As for Visual C+, I leave it installed. I remember reading a while back it's necessary so I haven't messed with it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. guest

guest Guest

More than constructive - a precise reply which explains all I need in a nutshell.

Can I use Revo Uninstaller so that all the residue is deleted ? The normal Windows uninstall does not capture all this left-over junk and I have a gut feel that there will be a lot of it.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  5. allizomeniz

I haven't used Revo for uninstalling .NET but I'd try it. It should work better than the Windows uninstaller alone.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7. guest

guest Guest

There are a lot of these files. Do I uninstall them one after the other in sequence and then reboot at the end ? I do intend to use Revo Uninstaller, as it scoops up all the left-over residue and so far has never given a spec of trouble.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

If you do uninstall these seemingly legitimate and required NET Framework files, I would run Windows Update, promptly, in the event they were installed in November.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Would save you a lot of time and effort making a disk image beforehand with software like Macrium.

10. guest

guest Guest

11. guest

guest Guest

Frank,

Looks interesting to me, but what is the "if dangerous" bit in the descriptive line of the link ?

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

The downloadcrew link is for the same tool I posted in #6 of this thread.

It is best to uninstall from add/remove first and only use the tool should you have issues.

If you had to use it, you would start from the earliest version of .net (eg .net framework 1.1)

If I remember correctly I had to reboot after each uninstall when I had to use it on a neighbours machine

13. guest

guest Guest

I have uninstalled everything except the .NET 4 items shown in my post 7.

I used Revo Uninstaller, which captured an enormous number of left-over files and it all went perfect without any trouble. My PC does not seem to miss the deleted MS .NET programs.

Do I need to retain the .NET 4 items, or can I delete them and get rid of .NET completely ?

I am sincerely grateful to all posters for the information and advice given.

Attached Files:

14. guest

guest Guest

Post 13 must be unlucky. Not long after posting, a Windows update came in and put all the MS .NET version 3`s back, like it or lump it.

The update failed under version 3, but gave me a nice red kiss of death marker, just to scare the daylights out of me that I am no longer the proud owner of these earlier versions and my PC life will be sheer hell.

I could of course turn off Windows updates, but that will only bring forward MS`s April execution date for my beloved XP.

Looks like once you join the MS .NET club, it is a lifetime commitment, you have gone beyond the point of no return and the MS bogeyman will get you if you defect.

Here is the answer to all my hard work deleting MS .NET. Not quite back to square One, but close. :-

Attached Files:

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Uninstall the .NET Framework again, go to Windows/Microsoft Update but do NOT select the Express option for installing updates. Instead go to Custom and see if there is an option to ignore or hide the .NET Framework updates.

16. guest

guest Guest

Good idea, I will give it a whirl and report back.

Whatever the MS Fan Club may think of this thread, it has been of great value to me.
    Thanks

Edit :-
    That was quick ! I checked the Windows updates using "Custom" and they are all for MS .NET SP3+. They are all security updates for .NET SP3+ except one for .NET SP1 and .NET SP2 which failed.

So if I do it all again and am able to select "Custom" to dump any MS .NET updates, or otherwise stop them, I should get the normal Windows updates minus the MS .NET.

The "Custom" selection is show here also. You can check or uncheck the boxes to select the updates wanted or unwanted.

Brilliant suggestion - many thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  17. allizomeniz

Glad you're making progress guest. I would also add, when you uncheck the boxes you should click the + sign and expand to see the details. At the bottom, check the option "don't show this update again" or they'll keep coming back. :)

18. guest

guest Guest

Now THAT was a good tip. I did get a load of .NET updates, but never checked the option you state. YES - they did keep coming back.

But I have since deleted every trace of MS .NET using Revo Uninstaller. It has all gone and I am sure my PC response has improved.

I have turned off "automatic updates" for now and will manually check any updates with IE when I feel like it, perhaps once per 2 weeks. Not very important, since from April 2014 there will be no more updates for my XP.

So now I have got rid of MS .NET, life is good again.

Thank you so much for your help.

19. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

My thoughts exactly... the only thing I'd need it for on XP would be if I used EMET. And the price is too steep for me personally. I'll settle for Hardware DEP and the buffer overflow protection in my Comodo D+.

I hear it runs much better on Win7 & 8 though. And since it's forced onto them by default I will likely just use EMET then when I upgrade. But as of now I avoid it like the plague.

20. guest

guest Guest

You have spoken the very words of truth itself, expressing the agony of the innocent.

Since I dumped the MS .NET curse, thanks to Revo Uninstaller, my PC has gone back to a good response and is the essence of sweetness. I have a "born again" computer and life is worth living.

As soon as I made the biggest mistake of my life and installed MS .NET in total ignorance, I was bombarded by security updates for every .NET version since Adam & Eve like snow in a blizzard. Even though I clicked "Cancel", it would not go away and stuck like glue to my Task Bar.

They are still there if I check my Windows updates on IE, like some angry Bot Fly waiting to infest me again. I have turned Windows updates OFF and will do a manual customer select every 2 weeks if I remember.

If Win 7 & 8 have this cursed thing forced on them by default, then all I can do like the gentleman I am, is wish the unfortunate users GOOD LUCK ! I hope they also like the approx. 800 MB that this maggot has on their hard disk capacity.

MS will voluntarily stop this persecution by their own hand in April 2014 when XP is proudly guillotined in public.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
  21. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If you are that worried about disk space, you should be more concerned with the 8-16GB taken by Windows 7/8.

22. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

After installing this yesterday i did a scan with Defraggler and saw that it was put on my HD with 2 parts about 3,500 fragments each that i had to defrag down to one fragment.

23. redgrum

redgrum Registered Member

.NET compiles in the background for quite some time after installation, but you can either force it to complete in one go or cancel it. Afterwards you are back to normal, aside from the occasional browser plugin.

24. DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR Registered Member

Yeah, other than the initial background optimizing/compiling of .NET assemblies or whatever, I've never seen ANY impact from having the Framework installed on XP... Although after the first time and noticing those initial "slowdowns," I was like, "What has that thing done to the system?!" :blink:

I don't like it "just because." It's an extra thing that takes a lot of space, but if you need it for some stuff, there's nothing you can do about it... I have 2 and 4 Full, but I've yet to install any of the updates for it! (I will next reinstall of stuff when I check them over.) Don't think it matters much (for online), since I don't think the .NET stuff can be used in IE 6 (unlike 8 (?7)) or Firefox.

Hi lucid. :)

Don't know if you remember, but in order to use EMET 4, you still have to install more .NET than what comes with Windows 7! :doubt: Not sure about 8, it may meet requirements by default.

Don't worry, OpenEMET will arrive. :D (Way?) Before XP EOL, though it should be here NOW... :'( So now (for EMET 4+) it has an advantage on Vista/7 instead of just XP. (Although you should be able to use EMET 2 or 3 with it if you choose.)

25. allizomeniz

I don't think I've ever heard technology described so poetically. ;)

Usually when you try to install something that requires .NET it'll tell ya what version you need. The most popular one at this point seems to be version 2. I try out a lot of freeware and I've never gotten a message for anything higher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.