Microsoft Making ‘Do Not Track’ Default for IE 10

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by siljaline, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Article

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Eh, I guess that's alright. I think people don't realize that webpages are driven by ads and ads use tracking to make money. Obviously you should always have the ability to opt out of this... but if the world were running adblock the web would not survive.

Of course, DNT isn't enforced so anyone can ignore the header.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I thought IE9 was the sole one actually able to enforce it? I'll grant you that blocking ads world-wide would all but bring the web to a screeching halt. However, if advertisers were not so obtrusive about the issue, blocking would be far less needed. Kill the television-like Flash ads and other major disrupting forms, and find a way to prevent malware from using them, and sure, I'll drop Adblock right away. Anymore, ad-blockers are more a part of a security arsenal than an annoyance killer.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Browsers can't enforce DNT. They send the DNT header and then, if the ad agency wants to comply, they'll not track you. There's no legal necessity yet for anyone to comply.
    I agree, which is why I like Adblock Plus and its whitelist.

5. siljaline

Advancing Consumer Trust and Privacy: Internet Explorer in Windows 8
    Windows Release Preview: The Sixth IE10 Platform Preview

6. Modena

Modena Registered Member

I don't mind being shown some non-intrusive ads, however I absolutely refuse to be tracked. Considering that everyone will do it without my permission, I have no qualms whatsoever about blocking ads and trackers.

7. siljaline

Unfortunately, you cannot allow ads and not be tracked at the same time. When IE10 is rolled out, we shall see how this all pans out.
    Tracking Protection Lists for IE9 work generally well - given their inherent limitations. There is no way not to be tracked somehow as none of this will ever be infallable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.