Microsoft Live Safety Center

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phasechange, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

2. AxelX

AxelX Guest

3. phasechange

I didn't see the other post. Still I'd be interested in opinions and experiences..

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since the other thread is locked....any\all discussion or comments can continue in this thread.

5. phasechange

Hmmm and real time from Scanning Windows OneCare Live Beta. I'm outside the US so cannot try it. Does the link work for anyone whose stateside http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=4177553 ? Anyone tried this cheeky monkey out?

Fairy

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Link works here. You must be running XP to install the beta.

7. phasechange

Sorry the link now works. Earlier today I was getting a completely different page...weird!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  8. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

9. POS

POS Guest

This is an Antivirus from microsoft?

10. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Thanks for the screenshots :)

11. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

ya it is

Code:
    Thanks for the screenshots
    no problem

12. nicM

nicM nico-nico

it's supposed to be a rebranded version of RAV, but what I don't understand is, one year ago, MS was criticizing signature based AV, and thus did buy Pelican, a company providing a generic AV, without signature (like ViGuard), in order to implement this technology in their announced AV;

...but no news about a MS "generic-only" AV with OneCare; and no news about generic detection inside One Care neither o_O Do they mention heuristic, behaviour or something in the GUI?

13. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Code:
    Do they mention heuristic, behaviour or something in the GUI?

i don't read nothing abut heuristic

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I joned the beta and downloaded the antivirus scanner tool and then there was nowhere to click to run the scanner! You bet I gave some feedback about that!! It simply doesn't work. I have XP Pro Sp1a. Maybe it only works on SP2. :D

I just learned that the OneCare Beta DOES REQUIRE SP2. But I was not using that. I downloaded just the AV scanner from the live safety center which is also in beta but when I went to download the tool it said nothing about minimum OS requirements so I think all OSes should be able to use the scanner....if there was a way to click on it after you install it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  15. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I downloaded and installed OneCare Beta. When I selected "scan for viruses" the program froze. I restarted my computer and shut down all non-essential running programs and tried to scan again. No go. Bye, bye.

16. twig

twig Guest

Its a large download 119MB . However I have it running on a clean system with no other security apps and I have to say its quite neat. I guess loading it up with lots of security apps on ones system may cause a few minor issues . The help directions or error directions are very straight foreward to follow. . it is very light on the system and intergrates well ( as it should) If one has any other AV installed it is recommended to uninstall it first in the event of conflicts. I recon that if this came as part of the windows package it would be a winner.. provided the AV is good. This is where no info is available as to what it is . My thoughts are it may be similar to Rav with some sort of behaviour blocker. If it preforms well it will be quite competitive and if the yearly subscription is not to far out. However for most users who frequent forums like here and who are kind of addicted to playing around with lots of security products " this set and forget security" may be not to ones liking. All in all I think its a good addition to the windows free firewall and even the beta anti spyware that microsoft have so far provided. Im looking foreward to hearing how the AV stacks up over time and if it is up there with the better ones . For the 80 % of internet surfers out there in cyberspace who dont run with any protection this would be very good. For people like myself who are withdrawing from the addiction to "overindulgence" in security awareness its a good thing too.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wonder if Service Pack 3 will deliver firewall that works like one above or at least near that...

18. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'm going to guess "not"...because this one, based on the XP firewall...but added Outbound protection, runs a special service called "telemetry". Part of telemetry...is a constant communication between the OneCare users, and Microsoft...regarding, hmmm...sort of a constant feedback of actions taken. Not too unlike the Spynet in their Antispyware product....they update their definitions based on feedback from users. The OneCare firewall will get updates, with new "default" settings....which makes things easier for the common user, they won't get as many "nags" to allow or block, because the OneCare firewall will change default settings per applications as definitions update.

That'll take some manpower on the coding/service end...making me think it will stick to the $$$ only side of things.

Curious to see how it will stand up in comparisons.

19. tansu

tansu Registered Member

20. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

mata7's Yikesssssssssssssssss That beta thing ruined my pc 6months ago i had to reformatt u try uninstalling it never againo_O i get a different thing for the live thingo its not that one care thing here is mine

http://safety.live.com/Template/hom...true&newguid=bdcd81cecdbd48e98f23c57bd7f0f2a8

but its not that onecare thingo_O that changes all ur firewall that was bigger from memory or is it?? if it is im not installing it !!!!!!! never again
    from memory! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    So when will the first online tests be out including this in comparisons? (talking about the AV component) :)

22. twig

twig Guest

yes that will be very interesting. They may wait till its out of beta . I have to say that its running effortlessly on my pc . real easy .

23. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

That scanner collects alot of data from your computer, more than OneCare does.

It sends the content of the hosts file, the content of your startup folder, active drivers & services running, installed IE extensions, some parts of the registry and other stuff to Microsoft.

I wouldn't use it :rolleyes:

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hmmm...Big Brother is a watch'n. :p

25. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Yup, it's quite sad really. But I didn't expect anything else from a company who bought the house of spyware.

Now before anyone complains.. All info above has been sniffed & analyzed, and they are infact sending all that info to Microsoft's servers (on a non secure line mind you) and then some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.