Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Full Story

2. dog

dog Guest

LOL ... Wonderful :rolleyes:

While I understand the need to try and prevent "piracy" ... this isn't the answer ... leaving possibly thousands of Windows PCs unpatched ... is a huge concern for all of us. A nice way for M$ to pass the buck ... and make their concern, our concern ... a real nice way to chew up bandwidth, needlessly, and possibly increase infection rates of the unwary. :rolleyes:

I can understand limiting "extra" type (bonus features etc.) M$ downloads to legit consumers ... but anything regarding security should be freely available to all. I'm sure savvy ~warez~ providers/users will have the patches available, but what about the thousands of average morons that are using an illegal copy.

Nice Solution M$ ... you just added one more reason to dislike you.

Steve

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I have to agree with most of dog's comments (I'll stay out of the personal critique, being no fool).

MS wavered back and forth about whether SP2 should be restricted to just legit copies of Win or should be supplied to anyone who requested it. And I think most of us agreed that their decision (and it sounds like it was almost a toin-coss at the MS end) to make it available as widely as possible was a sensible one. Too many unpatched computers were essentially what made things like Sasser and Blaster spread so widely and quickly.

Just my two cents, of course -- and if I've got any change (or full refund) coming back, I won't quibble. :cool:

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Depending on what your downloading, its already mandatory to verify your installation. Try Windows Producer or Windows Media Encoder - both actually work pretty well. There's not much that M$ actually gives away, but these are real doozies if you're into that sort of thing. Once you've verified you don't need to do it again unless you re-install.

5. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I agree with Dog. I could of said it better. I understand M$ point of view but they sometimes do a little overboard with some of the stuff they do. LOL... But hey my XP is legit. :)

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

It's definately true - more unpatched systems = more vulnerable systems.

I am interested to hear what people would suggest as a possible alternatives for them to manage the issue in a responsible way...?

7. dog

dog Guest

Hi Nod32 user, ;)

I don't think there is any alternate for M$, other than to provide Security patches to all, licensed or not. M$ has basically created their own monopoly (re: operating systems). All software is basically a work in progress, Windows is no exception. They all have flaws ... and are patched accordingly. But considering the impact of windows, and the magnitude of the resulting consquences of unpatched systems. There is no choice in the matter.

While "piracy" is a concern ... I really don't think it dramatically affects their bottom line. My guess is that less than 20% (max) of PC's running any version of Windows, aren't properly licensed. All in all, it's a burden they must bear, due to its widespread use because of the lack of any reasonable alternatives. They know the implications of denying patches; it has the potential to severely hinder the backbone of internet communications, as well as pretty much crippling private networks. If they do proceed as planned; we'll all bear the cost, of the potential increased bandwidth loads.

M$ made their bed, now they must lie in it. Providing the patches to all is the only responsible thing to do.

Cracked software will always exist, no matter the protection scheme. It's only possible to slow it down, by devising/creating new protection techniques continually, but still it's only a matter of time. Sadly, that is the reality of it.

Steve

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hey guys did you read the article. It applies to several download sites, but NOT to Windows Updates, where the security patches are applied.

Pete

9. dog

dog Guest

Hi Pete,

I'm not sure what article you read? But it is very clear. ;)

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5550205.html

Steve

10. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Well you can read more in the article if you wanted to. Like, you can read that it's all about the money with M$ (you really don't need an article to tell you that). I like others think piracy is wrong but I'm sure there are other work arounds to help control piracy. If M$ aim to stop piracy well they got another thing coming. Piracy will always be around and a company like M$ can't stop it fully

Disclaimer: I am in no way saying piracy is a good thing. In fact I think piracy is wrong and it's stealing what's not yours. Stealing is a crime. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.