Microsoft is killing the Nokia and Windows Phone brands

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Sep 11, 2014.

1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/10/6131695/microsoft-is-killing-the-nokia-and-windows-phone-brands

2. guest

guest Guest

Yup! I knew this would happen someday. Microsoft just used Nokia's big name so they could have more chance in mobile phone business. When they've got their own stage, they dumped Nokia to the abyss. I do really feel sorry for Nokia, but it is their own decision to wilfully became Microsoft's pet dog. Now that Nokia has nothing to sell as their flagship products, I can't imagine how they will survive in the future. They won't last long with only Asha phones.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I think it´s a bad move, I still like the Nokia brand, and I´m sure that millions of other people do the same. :)

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

it's just a change of names, no big deal.

5. guest

guest Guest

It's not a big deal for Microsoft, it is a big deal for Nokia. My prediction would be either:
    a) Microsoft will acquire Nokia and then kill it after a while, or
    b) Leave Nokia to be dusted

Nokia has been dying since Android started to dominate the mobile phone operating systems. Then comes Microsoft offering a business agreement with their Windows Phone OS, and Nokia accepted it. Look what they've got now? If Nokia still hold on and further develop Symbian OS and not being so cheapskate by only giving 500MB RAM for touchscreen smartphones, they would probably still be on the top position on mobile phone business. It's all now taken over by Samsung.

6. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

From 2016 Nokia will be able to sell again smartphones so they probably thought that 2 Nokias are confusing. I do hope to see from Nokia at least 2 or 3 OSes on their phones.

7. guest

guest Guest

Nah too expensive on their part. I don't know if Nokia will resurrect Symbian or going Android mode like everyone else. But what really makes me wonder is if Nokia still wants to be Microsoft's dog and will turn themselves as a hardware manufacturer for Windows Mobile smartphones, without being allowed to even attach the name “Nokia” on their products. Ouch... that hurts! >_<

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Nokia will hopefully absorb Jolla and start selling phones again.

I won't be buying a Microsoft phone.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Didn't know this. Thought M$ bought the Nokia cell business. Quite a deal for Nokia then, rent out the name for millions.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/21/7026427/microsoft-lumia-nokia-brand-replacement

11. guest

guest Guest

Reminds me of Ericsson.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

14. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

they did buy nokia's mobile business

i think you are a bit behind on the news. microsoft already all of nokia's mobile business
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Mobile#Acquisition_of_mobile_phone_business_by_Microsoft

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This is a horrible sentence:

"Although it's never been quite such a powerful force in the US and other parts of the world, the Nokia name is a long-established part of mobile phone history in Europe and other parts of the world"

They mean other OTHER parts of the world :)

Mrk

16. guest

guest Guest

17. treehouse786

they have already acquired nokias whole mobile business

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Nokia committed suicide by association with Micro-SHARK!!!

19. treehouse786

20. guest

guest Guest

Allow me to word it differently: Microsoft is killing Nokia from the inside and will throw Nokia to its complete evaporation and being forgotten as the time passes by.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.