Microsoft | Internet Explorer 9 Platform Preview

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NICK ADSL UK, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What is the deal with a few of you guys lately constantly hammering the point home that you hate a certain browser/AV/whatever? IE9 doesn't even exist yet, give it a rest with the "can it pass such and such?". Did the poster SAY they were showing the graph to exert anything whatsoever? This is a thread for IE9, not 8, not 7. You hate IE, you made your point twice and its useless to this discussion.

Again, I do not see IE ever hitting a 100 score on Acid3, MS doesn't deem it important enough. At BEST I see it hitting 70-75, but we'll just have to wait and see. The one thing they have got to get right for once is configuring the Restriction/Internet zones. Even IE8 had to be adjusted, and, especially in the Restriction zone, this is unacceptable.

As far as javascript speed, if they can get it to 1000, they'll be fine. Under that won't make a bit of difference except to show off in the never-ending "browser speed wars", which are a waste of time. They should also drop Web Slices because, as far as I've ever seen, they just didn't catch on.

On the HTML5 front, they, imho, should support BOTH open source and proprietary. We do NOT need one website only using H.264, and another only OGG, let alone having browsers support only one or the other. That is a HUGE mistake being made right now. IE is in a good place, imho. But, they can't stall and play around if they want to stay in the game. They need to understand that Opera, Firefox, Chrome, etc is a typing of an address or a clicking of a link away.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

That graph shows "WebKit SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark Result" dated "March 11th 2010", and nothing else.

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

4. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to OS's. Microsoft actually care about backwards compatibility and go to great lengths to ensure that their API's are consistent so legacy apps continue to run. As opposed to say Apple who are happy to reinvent the world every few years and ask users to ditch their old Mac's and spend $2k once again, and ask dev's to rewrite all their apps (Carbon vs Cocoa). Lets not even talk about Linux, they have a design goal not to have consistent binary API's so every distro needs its app compiled from code for minor differences.

IE's rendering engine is used in a ton of apps besides the browser. The fact they are making it performant and safe and leading the path in GPU accel is to be commended. Watch how quickly Mozilla announced they are also going to have it after IE9 came out with the news.

The IE shell will never be as customizable or feature rich as Firefox or Chrome. Chrome is copying Firefox at this point, adding support for extensions. IE is still the only browser to run under protected mode, which is the most secure. IE is miles ahead of Safari in that regard. Having a modern secure fast browser as the default in your OS is a good thing!

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Some just hate this or that and there isn't any arguing with them or showing them where they err. Obviously some people won't let go of the past and either never will be pleased with or cheer on Microsoft as they fix past mistakes.

6. guest

guest Guest

Thanks for posting that, very same opinion here.

7. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

Remind the people who migrated who migrated from XP to Vista about Microsoft's backwards compatibility stand. IE was a security disaster for YEARS, at LEAST until V7. They finally make something that isn't total crap and you give them a standing ovation? To each his own I guess.:rolleyes:

8. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I didn't hammer home anything. I posted my opinion, was quoted so I responded.

And please don't tell me to stop judging by the past. Unlike many of you guys who can apparently read the future, I can't.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The answer to that is quite obvious to me. Historian Will Durant said, "to speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves." :thumbd:
    But I digress... ;) Let me say that I too look forward to IE9. And I believe like a few others here that IE tends to get a bad rap for security when in fact IE8 has been a great improvement over its predecessors.

And thanks to the OP for posting the link to the Internet Explorer Platform Preview! :thumb:

10. guest

guest Guest

A patched IE6 after the XP SP2 couldn't be automatically infected.

WinVista only came 6 years after XP. It had a very turbulent development and yes, some compatibility issues on launch, but mostly were fixed by the time SP1 was released.

Now, look at Apple for a moment. Apple released MacOS X Leopard in late 2007 with firewall turned OFF by default. That's irresponsibility at an extreme level.

QuickTime and Safari are still incredible hosts of vulnerabilities. Also, MacOS X 10.6 is still way behind Windows by comparison of security features implemented. Any good cracker agrees that to invade a MacOS X Snow Leopard is way easier than to invade a Win7.

I won't even talk about the disastrous, outrageous and opportunistic manner of Apple regarding backwards compatibility on its main platform.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

M$ can go to hell. And I bet IE9 will still be kinda crappy anyways, so I´ll be sticking with XP Pro. :cautious:

12. pasha101

pasha101 Registered Member

I don't think that graph shows you what you think it does. The lower the sunspider score the better. That shows that IE is the slowest browser, out of those tested with the sunspider test.

13. pasha101

pasha101 Registered Member

Never mind, I see from the graph that IE8 is the slowest, IE9 is closer to the middle of the pack.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I had the same issue with IE TABS on my old vista install. For some reason it was JAVA SSV addon causing the slow tab.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta&tid=b99bbae6-4b1c-4959-aaee-180256754a71&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1

15. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Seeing what MS has planned with IE9 shows me they are doing their best to improve it's quality. Sometimes I can't believe how immature this forum can be, praising a piece of software like its a religion, or attacking it like someones life depends on it. Luckily we live in a free world people, use a alternative if you don't like Windows/IE :thumb:

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ain't it the truth :rolleyes: At a minimum the proposed improvements for IE9 will raise the bar for everyone. Who would argue against video hardware acceleration support in the browser? Even modest systems now have relatively powerful GPUs which are underutilized if you don't play games. It's about time for browser support given that it has become the front-end for internet multimedia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.