Microsoft | Internet Explorer 9 Platform Preview

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NICK ADSL UK, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Interested in checking out the new Web platform capabilities of Internet Explorer 9?

Download the Internet Explorer Platform Preview right now.
    http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I can't wait! Hopefully they put as much work into the Acid3 tests as they did to the CSS tests, 100% pass!

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I can wait...

5. CiX

CiX Registered Member

I cant wait, too!!

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I like IE overall. I think it gets a worse reputation than it deserves, even though IE 8 is HUGELY improved over previous versions. Having said that, security is where it has improved mostly. It's still quite behind the times in just about every other respect. Microsoft is set in its ways, it always has been. It is still on top of the mountain in browser usage regardless of its slowly declining percentage. Also, Microsoft has made it fairly clear that they don't see Acid3 as that big of a deal.

Those two factors leads me to believe IE 9 won't bring much to the table. That's just an opinion of course, and we're way too far off from release to make any judgment calls, but, I wouldn't exactly be too frightened to put my money on IE 9 having more hype than substance.

7. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I hear it or wont work with Windows XP Pro...correct??

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Based on this info, no

9. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

"Building a modern browser requires a modern operating system,"

What a complete load of BS. This is just one more example of Microsoft trying to force an OS upgrade.:rolleyes: I guess Chrome, FF, Opera, Safari etc. aren't "modern". This is gonna blow up in their faces IMO. Meanwhile Google and Mozilla are dancing a jig at this news.

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Login to the IE Team Blog and let your thoughts be heard.

11. Watasha

I would if I cared. I haven't used IE for years. Microsoft has got to be the single laziest company to ever actually somehow enjoy this level of success, but the progress Microsoft has made in recent years is thanks to everyone BUT Microsoft. How this company still has anyone on earth that truly believes in them is testament to human idiocy or the worst case of forgetfulness in recorded history. Just because they (probably) make your OS doesn't mean they're anything more than a lucky bunch who were in the right place at the right time, right Apple?:argh: Netscape? Has any one corporate giant with a virtual monopoly had less resistance to total annihilation? Who was the beneficiary? I could go on with this rant but it's gotten old already. Same old story, same stale scare tactics from the same bunch of liars IMO. Y'all enjoy IE9, maybe by version 35 it'll be alright and they'll force everyone else out to make room for their monopoly....again. Right Apple?:rolleyes:

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That helped the topic a LOT... :cautious: Really, what they did or didn't do back in the 80s and 90s has no bearing on the browser or its capabilities or lack thereof, and if you think Microsoft is the only one that has ever made and is making cut-throat moves and squeezing themselves into as many things that will make them cash as possible, you're out of touch. In any case, back to IE9 and what it is going to bring to the table to stand out from the rest or at least do to keep itself current.

14. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/

Just what we need, more JavaScript nonsense :p Unless compiling in the background makes it a LOT safer ? I would certainly hope so :D

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the problem is vista had tons of under the hood changes and all of them were needed.
    example 1. In windows xp if the graphics driver crashed you had to do a hard reboot and risk losing data.
    With windows vista and 7 if the display driver crashes the screen will go blank for a few seconds then it loads back like it was before with a message saying graphics driver was recovered.

windows 2000 shipped with IE5 and is allowed upgrade to IE6.

windows xp shipped with IE6 and has been allowed 7 and 8.

im not really interested in IE tbh. IE8 is really slow to load. if you open a blank tab it takes quite a few seconds. with opera,chrome and firefox opening a new tab/multiple tabs is instant. plus i like to use a browser that works on multiple platforms.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  16. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

I'm personally pleased that it seems XP won't be supported.
    It's about time that was finally laid to rest.

Good one Microsoft! :)

17. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Isn't Chakra a linux distro? :D

18. elapsed

19. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Thanks for the link elapsed, learn something new everyday.

20. Watasha

What do you mean "helped the topic"? This isn't a troubleshooting thread. I'm not supposed to judge MS on what they did in the past? What am I supposed to judge them by then, the future? If that's the case go buy a Toyota, pay no mind to the fact that the throttle may stick, that's in the (recent) past. Every time MS comes out with a new OS (every 5-10 minutes it seems) they want to make everyone believe that an older one is totally outdated and unsafe blah blah blah. This (hopefully) scares as many people into upgrading as possible. You wanna talk about IE? Okay, how many versions did it take before it wasn't a complete security disaster? 7? 8? Wow, that's service! IE9 can't run on XP? Great, every other browser will and if the PAST is any indication they will be vastly superior anyway and MS will continue playing catch-up, albeit with drastically fewer users. Good luck with that.:thumb:

21. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

22. elapsed

Every other browser doesn't have GPU acceleration.

23. philby

philby Registered Member

lodore - I'm (respectfully) surprised at your comment here.

On my machine, blank tab load is about half a second. On my wife's machine, it's the same.

I'm not interested in IE8 either, but not because Opera is a picosecond faster...

philby

24. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

It's also slow here, shows 'Connecting...' for few seconds.

25. Watasha

Did you really just post that graph? THAT graph? The only graph that you have had to post in order to exert IE's dominance over any other browser (in any way) in the browser's entire existence? Tell me, what does that graph tell you? Can IE9 pass the Acid 3 test yet? Last I saw it scored a 32 and then a 55. At least that's better than the 14 and 20 you got before. Here come the sheep.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.