Microsoft has applied for an odd patent which forces people to look at advertisements

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

SOFTWARE BEHEMOTH Microsoft has applied for an odd patent which forces people to look at advertisements. Patent number 20070033102 uses face-recognition webcams to tell if users are paying attention to the advertisement. If they don't, then the software will disable or repossess the computer.
    The patent says that it can make sure that paid advertising is watched. It involves asking users a question about an advertisement or requiring data about the advertisement to be entered.
    The idea is that when the advertisement is correctly answered then cash will be sent to a user account.
    The big idea is that schools will make a bit of cash on the side by forcing kids to become marketing guinea pigs and the patented technology will make sure they obey. Article

View the patent here

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

:D In a word: hahahahaha
    Or lol
    Or sad, depending on the perspective...

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

How does my face look o_O

4. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I want to see them force me to install that software or make me hook up a webcam.
    I don't want to think about the privacy/security implications of this kind of software running on a platform as insecure as windows, forced on users. That's a hackers dream come true!
    Rick

5. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Re: Microsoft has applied for an odd patent which forces people to look at advertisem

Another good reason to go to linux.

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Re: Microsoft has applied for an odd patent which forces people to look at advertisem

Being a natural skeptic I don't believe it will ever happen even if the story is true.

I agree with herb's thinking completely.

I doubt the concept is even legal.

7. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Maybe not now, but money has a way of buying what it wants, including legality. Whether it becomes a reality or not, Microsoft's attempting to patent such a thing only proves beyond any doubt their intent to turn windows into complete spyware.
    Rick

8. Escalader

Herb:

You are right, to judge intentions it is best to track what Firms/people do rather than what they say>

Have a good evening

9. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

not as an addendum to a contract or something forced

but as the primary condition to access content it certainly would be
    and they wouldnt really even care if it could be circumvented by the few
    as long as the ability to do so is beyond the capability of the majority

but always look on the bright side of life :p

operating system? we don't need no stinking operating system! :p

there are a lot of powerful business interests that don't appreciate the direction Microsoft is taking the industry, and see their latest efforts as another attempt to pull one over on them like the last time round
    (or like Jobs did on the recording industry)

a little "context" for that patent :cautious:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  10. Escalader

Hello Czar!

IBM, M$, ZA it's all tooooo much. I'd rather defrag my NTLDR again!

I think I'll go back to the 650 vacuum tube machine in the basement and code in binary again,,,, life was better then

11. Ice_Czar

hide in the basement if you like
    but believe me "they" will find you there too :p

(%$#@@#$@ building department @#@#$) :p

12. Escalader

Czar:
    do you remember vacuum tubes? with a name like yours here i figure you must have been around since 1917...:'(

13. Ice_Czar

actually had an old vacuum tube shortwave radio as a kid ;)

(PS my nic was the job title I held for the GABF)

and to remain on topic coming in at number 5
    Top 10 Big Brother Companies: Ranking the Worst Consumer Privacy Infringers

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

One day, (personal) advertising on PC will be accepted, just like people accepted general advertising on TV.
    It only takes time to prepare this generation for advertising on PC and knowledgeable users will probably be able to block advertising on PC, but not the majority of users.
    Nobody will be able to stop this evolution, because there is too much money involved in personal advertising, because it targets people immediately, when they need and want to buy something. You can't do that on TV.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Not if your careful to wear a tin hat. ;)

16. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Vacuum tubes? I've got several boxes of them. Probably several hundred. Even got a few of the old green "cat eye" tubes they used in old console radios, like this one, taken with a cheap webcam.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q277/herbalist-rick/old.gif

I wouldn't be suprised if that webcam spyware ended up in Vista, packaged with a "security patch". I'm seeing too many questionable ideas, policies, etc coming from M$ that demonstrate that they're nothing more than a spyware company that sells infested operating systems.
    Rick

17. Ice_Czar

provided its properly OSHA certified and annually inspected :p

(everything that is not mandatory, is proscribed) :cautious:

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Advertisements on TV were accepted only because a TV was not meant for satisfying personal needs. The programs on TV were meant for a broad range of people and the advertisements would appeal to at least some of them. The programs you watch on TV are not your choice, they are put on the channel according to what the producer of the channel thinks best.

On the other hand, in a PC, the software in it is your choice, what hardware you use is your choice, and what you want to do with it is your choice. This is exactly why advertisements will not be tolerated to the same extent as they are on TV.

Anyway, I don't put much weight on this article, its the inquirer thats reporting it (known to be unreliable). Maybe the reporter just misinterpreted it...

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I didnt know my bloody computer was Possessed in the first place :blink: No wonder theres problems now and again, The Devils sent some Demons to Possess it :blink: Think I'll get it Exorcised :ninja:

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The intolerance towards advertising on PC will fade away with each generation.
    Everything changes and I've seen alot of changes in my lifetime that weren't possible 40 years back.

21. Escalader

Hi Guy's: (ps I'm in the basement looking for extra tubes for Czar and Herb)

Speaking of Microsoft .NET Passport, it is on my possessed PC, I don't use it or do I?

Can I exorcise it? Should I? This is a serious question.

Regards

22. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Do you use MSN messenger/Live messenger or any other of the MSN/Live services (like MSN Money/billpay service)?

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Theoretically speaking, being 14 years old, I am part of the "new generation" :D

But I don't like ads. I don't like them in TV, or in the newspaper, or in magazines. Maybe I'm just different, but nowadays, awareness about such things is also growing...So maybe it won't be such a problem in the future.

But then, one can never say.

24. Escalader

Hi wilbertnl:
    Nope, none of those, I have M$ messenger disabled.... I'm scared though that I'll be using it and not know? what else in win xp depends on it, we know how MS works...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.