Microsoft extends Windows XP's stay

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

FINALLY!

I been spewing off for years over Microsoft's neglecting previous releases including 98/Me. If only they would look at the over all picture of matters and stop focusing on some narrow view of marketing and Xbox/Games more than Operating Systems.

I still hold to the belief that they stand to gain more than they can possibly comprehend, IF they just revist their previous releases and re-release them yet again with improved re-writes of core code plus enhancements. This includes 98/Me/2000 etc.

They NEED variety, and that would be just the ticket to broaden their scope, regain complete trust, and redeem some lost reputation.

It would be but a simple matter to re-write 98/Me along with releasing an even better Service Pack for XP "IF" they would just do it and stop procrastinating and always running away from those releases with lame claims of obsolete.

Of course, older releases are obsolete when attention is abandoned. They need to pump up and infuse new innovation into those releases and BUILD on a more stable platform of their earlier creations.

Anyway, thats my opinion.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

XP will be around for a long time, regardless of what M$ says or wishes. Maybe in a year or two, when they get things sorted out, I might be tempted to try Vista, but not now. I don't need to be on the cutting edge of every M$ release. I didn't switch to XP until SP2 came out.

If I go with Linux later next month, I may not be using MS anything ever again.

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Something else that bites about all this is, You can't purchase computers/laptops from local stores like Best Buy or Circuit City with XP anymore. They all come with Vista.

Dell and I think 1 other company are the only ones that even allow you to order PC's/laptops online with XP. All the rest insist you choose Vista.

I don't like that either. I'm not about to upgrade my entire network to Vista yet when XP works just fine. But ordering new PC's to keep it growing is tough.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

yesterday i visited a retailstore and saw fujitsu's with XP again,Fujitsu like Dell show their sensity to their customers , but also their hardware is excelent,if you think about its no coincidence !If you have good stuff then there is a greater demand and they tend also more likely listen to the many who push for XP.After all they have to ,in fear of losing marketshare,its all about $$ !

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Not surprised, Vista has not set the world on fire.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I know velcocity micro does, and I understand if you call HP and pester them, you can with them also.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It happens very rare, but this time I'm not disappointed by Microsoft. :)

9. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Links here suggest you can downgrade: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=186549
    According to one link (this only applies to Vista Professional):
    "End users can use the following media for their downgrade: ....retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License)."
    I have been unable to determine if that XP downgrade is included in every mfr.s system/recovery discs.

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Systemax is another computer company that gives you a choice. In fact, they come with XP, but they have Vista on the HD for you to load if you choose to try it.

As I understand from reading someplace, Systemax began shipping Vista but got so many customer requests for XP that they decided to stay with XP, but include an unloaded Vista for those who wanted it. I don't know whether that's true.

I'd really be curious how many people are sticking with Vista. I'm betting, just based on what I see and my buddy who owns the computer shop up the road says, that quite a large number are going back to XP. I see no reason for Vista. This is another instance of MS planned obsolescence. This time, it seems to be backfiring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.