Microsoft Expands IE7 Phishing Filter

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The IE7 Phishing Filter is really just tracking-ware disquised as a security feature. Comodo's V-engine is much better.

3. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

acr1965,can you give facts related to your post?Thank's for any input.

4. acr1965

Here are a few quotes from the MS Phishing Filter Privacy Statement-

"Phishing Filter is designed to warn you if the website you are visiting might be impersonating a trusted website. Phishing Filter does this by first checking the address of the website you are visiting against a list of website addresses stored on your computer that have been reported to Microsoft as legitimate ("legitimate list")."

"When you use Phishing Filter to check websites automatically or manually, the address of the website you are visiting will be sent to Microsoft, together with some standard information from your computer such as IP address, browser type, and Phishing Filter version number."

"Anonymous statistics about your usage of Phishing Filter will also be sent to Microsoft such as the time and total number of websites browsed since an address was sent to Microsoft for analysis. This information, along with the information described above, will be used to analyze the performance and improve the quality of the Phishing Filter service....Some URLs that are sent may be saved to be included in the legitimate list and then provided as client updates. When saving this information additional information including Phishing Filter and Operating System version, and your browser language will be saved."

5. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

acr1965,thank's for the info.

6. acr1965

Maybe I am just paranoid or something but I don't like how MS generalizes their Privacy Statement. Plus their outright telling me that they are collecting data and info is a bit of a concern. What are your feeling on the issue of the MS PF? Do you run it or another brand?

I like the Comodo one because it is pretty simple for me. It just lights a green border around my browser when I am on a legit site. For some reason it only works for me with https sites. But I think I like that better as otherwise it would be a nag. Plus it claims not to collect any user info whatsoever. I just wish there was some way to turn it off at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.