Microsoft Delays Vista Until 2007

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Re: Uncle Bill delays yet again...

Yep, Windows Vista seems to be fully pre-patched. :)

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

hmm...2007...maybe ill get Vista as a graduation present :D

5. berng

berng Registered Member

like I care

6. mercurie

Sorry Ronjor I missed it. :oops:

This means I'll have to hang on to my old 2001 VintageCompaq a little longer :(

"...like I care..." why would you post that, if you don't care then don't post.

Now if you would think it through you might understand why some do care. Many who depend on sales of PCs were looking forward to increased volumn from those like me holding off until the new operating system comes out. If I am understanding the delay correctly Christmas sales will be down in this consumer tech area.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  7. berng

berng Registered Member

I care enough to post that I don't care if its delayed.

I'm happy using XP on a well tuned and secured (hopefully) system. I have better things to do than to wonder about the latest and greatest O/S release date.

If you have old O/S and hardware and if you really think the improvement will be worth the wait, then yes, it may be worthwhile waiting on Vista before upgrade.

But for me, its just another time consuming and expensive software/hardware upgrade cycle.

8. mercurie

Berng,
    Ah, yes thank you for the adding more information. I now understand what you mean. I can appreciate your position on this.

I too will not be lining up to be the first to get Vista. I will let it be out for at least 6 months or so even though my hardware is getting old. I'll wait....;)

9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

It's crazy they need this long for Vista, especially if you see how many new features are cancelled for Vista already (WinFS to name one). On the other hand, Linux distributions might can generate some extra profit with it. I see a big market especially in corporate business, and Novell seems to play to this market already...

10. dog

dog Guest

Personally I think they can keep Vista on the shelf permanently. Vista's builtin DRM feature called Output Content Protection Management ... is the latest control that'll be forced on us - which means you won't be able to view HD DVDs at full resolution unless you purchase a montior that has the DRM High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection. :rolleyes: So add an extra few hundred bucks aside for that, in addition to the extra restrain. I won't upgrade from XP at all ... while my use of Windows is already quite limited ... when it ceases to be useful, I'll continue on with Linux. I certainly won't be forking over my cash to be more and more controlled ... with many of touted features already put on the shelf until the next evolution ... is there any real reason to upgrade? It actually smells a little like WinME to me ... an OS that'll be short lived.

11. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Fred Langa also seems to have an "as if I care" take on things (and I agree with him), so berng is in good company !

http://langa.com/newsletters/2006/2006-03-27.htm#7

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

How is this possible, they forgot to mention "and too unsafe". ;)

14. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Windows Vista will have many features removed why?

a feature like WinFS will not be added why not? wat was WinFS i don't remember?

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

See the below link for an explanation on WinFS:

http://www.answers.com/WinFS

I agree with you - most likely they'll release a "Second Edition" the next year with purported new features.

DirectX is going to be a major bugger. So they have DirectX 10, and they have this DirectX 9.L which may or may not have Shader Model 4.0 support. New GPUs may not be fully DX10 compliant yet.....:doubt:

Drivers will be a major pain. Windows Vista drivers are not going to come as quickly as one may expect. Early drivers may not even be good enough. The system requirements could also be quite high (though my PC can manage it, what about those users who just want their PC for usual things like checking mail and typing documents and not playing PC games?)

In short, Vista is gonna bring more headaches than benefits.

16. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

will there be a new version of Direct X for windows Xp pro soon? like Direct X 10 or Direct X 9.0 D.

or the next version will be Direct X 10 and it will only be for Windows Vista?

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

iirc, DirectX 10 is for Vista only. idk what theyll offer to WinXP users.

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Possibly they'll offer DirectX 9.0L for Windows XP :doubt:

19. triangle

triangle Registered Member

Greetings,

WinFS seems to be a really interesting one structure. I've searched to find more info on it and if you are also interested you can find info on it at this useful source http://www.ntfs.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.