Microsoft Cancels Windows 7 Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PJC, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

2. encus

encus Registered Member

Best if they don't rush it until it's totally ok.

3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

This sounds like they won't be releasing it at all.

If this is true I don't like it, as I find service packs to be convenient ways of getting a lot of updates included in a fresh installation (if installed from an integrated image). I re-install about every 6 months, and I have to download quite a few updates to get caught up as it is. Getting rid of service packs will only make that amount grow and grow. For Windows 7, I only have to get updates since early 2011, whereas with no SP I'd have to get everything since mid-2009.

I realize it's possible to slipstream these updates yourself, but it's a PITA compared to having a new SP every now and then. Some updating is OK, but I don't like the thought of still having to download every update since RTM after the OS gets to be a few years old. Imagine how long it could take to update XP from an original (pre-SP1) disc now.

I don't understand the reasoning they're giving. So they want to update it monthly. Well, they've already been doing that, even with SPs. And how this gets people to upgrade to the newest OS is beyond me.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Well they never announced it in the first place so they didn't really "cancel" it.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

6. elapsed

If you go into Disk Cleanup you'll see the option to remove the Service Pack 1 backup.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Someone posted on another forum that Win 7 service pack 2 would never happen at all. I found that hard to believe, seeing as how support goes on till 2020. Unless MS has decided that service packs in general aren't the way to go anymore... I have no idea.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

That's how I feel as well. Quite honestly it's fine by me, it's one less time I'll have to spend waiting on Windows Update to hopefully do something right and then have to restart. Patch Tuesdays are annoying enough as it is. Having an SP or not having one has nothing to do with who upgrades to Windows 8. Perhaps MS is doing away with services packs, though I doubt it.

9. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I like Service Packs for Windows due to the fact that, when the new Service Pack is released, Microsoft also updates the official ISO images of the affected Windows to the latest build with the most recent changes/fixes introduced with the new Service Pack already included.

This considerably reduces the time needed to fully update Windows using Windows Update after a clean install.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I think it will eventually come.

11. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Win7SP1 was 2011, now with a shelf-life 'til 2020? That's 9 years of updates. Imagine a re-install in 2018? Installed from a 2011 CD? It'll be 2019 before you get a break from update catch-ups?

12. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

The community will end up taking care of this for them at some point. Sure it wont be official but it will be an easy way to bring a disk image up to date.

13. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Agreed. I think Microsoft needs to update Windows' official ISO images more often. Maybe on a yearly basis.

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

in the disk cleanup i can't remove hotfixes backup

and my w7 in the past doesn't let me install the sp1
    don't know why, i guess because i installed some hotfixes (more new then the sp1) and after i tried to install the sp1

i can delete only the file inside C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I wish Microsoft release a Service Pack every six or nine months. :thumb:
    Service Packs over one-by-one Windows Updates offer a Time-Advantage during Clean Installs.

16. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Very bad move dear Microsoft...

17. elapsed

Tampering with system files is probably exactly why you now have problems installing SP1. If there are files that can be cleaned it will offer it to you in Disk Cleanup, if not, leave the system alone.

18. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

I installed Win7HP X64 on VM, then applied all available updates, ran sysprep, booted to winpe and captured the .wim, replaced old .wim with new one and after a clean install windows update install just a couple of windows defender daily updates. Thats how i'm gonna deal with no SP2 :D

Attached Files:

19. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

They are afraid that 7 become the new XP, the OS that didn't want die. So they force on 8.

20. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

^ Finally... someone who "gets it". Or at least is blunt/honest enough to just come out and say it.

21. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yet that is not "getting it". Windows 8 is out, on pretty much the same schedule that MS said they were going to keep for OS releases. Yet, XP is still out there, Windows 7 is still out there on millions of machines, and nobody in the world is using Windows 8 on brand new, store bought machines that came with Windows 8. Windows 7 will be supported until 2020, and, knowing MS, they'll extend it. No one is being forced into it unless they buy new machines with it on it. XP was around for over 10 years, MS had to stop supporting it at some point. Windows 7 is hardly anytime soon going to be feared as the "OS that won't die". It's 3 years old for crying out loud. Let's try to separate MS hate from criticisms of the OS itself.

If you want to keep using Windows 7 like I do, do so. Nobody from MS is sitting here leering at me with a copy of Windows 8 in hand, I doubt they are doing so at your house either.

22. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

No hate vs Microsoft. I only think that MS fears that most part of home and business users will not upgrade to 8, and no service packs for 7 means to urge 8 purchasing.

23. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

honestly not giving SP2 for 7 is pretty unprofessional way for MS to push windows 8 up our throats.
    i will simply create a clean macrium reflect image to get around this. no way im getting windows 8 without classic theme.

24. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I suspect what we'll see is a repeat of the Vista/7 situation, with MS under extremely heavy market pressure to release Win 9, hopefully set up to be what 8 shoulda been, well ahead of the normal schedule (after proper beta, of course). One would hope that they actually learned something from their handling of Vista ... probably the most significant result of which was the extended lifetime of XP.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm not sure I "get it". I don't at all see where services packs decide whether you upgrade to a new OS or not. If you've kept up with updates, and your back-up images contain them, then why would anyone worry about service packs except for new fixes and whatever enhancements may be included? Besides, service packs haven't contained previous content since XP SP3, so the argument that they make things less time consuming is false.

In the past, service packs usually meant the system was considered unstable and had lots of other problems. MS simply evidently doesn't think Windows 7 needs an SP2, so they aren't releasing it. The only reasons the majority would use for not upgrading to Windows 8 is that for home users, they probably don't need it and, for business, it's too much of a PITA and too expensive to do every 3 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.