Microsoft beta AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

There's no HIPS functionality in MSE, and HIPS functionality of WD is taken out in Windows 7 version. MSE's proactive defense is based on Dynamic Signatures (search for it), which typically delivers the same "prompts" as a regular detection, thus continuing unmatched simplicity. ;)

2. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

OK - Thank You Raven

Are there any other ways MSE checks if the file is valid? MD5, etc.?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  3. raven211

No problem. :) Sorry, but I don't have that technical information, though I'm sure someone else here knows.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

MSE does start to slooow things down after a couple of days, but it is still beta.

5. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

No problems here, been testing on 20 PC's of varying speeds, memory.

Killed the Rustok SpamBot that was plaguing one PC and showed no slowdown on even the PC with least memory/CPU power.
    Initial download of signatures was slow on all but after setting up scheduler on daily 4hr intervals it updates quick as a flash now.

Thumbs up from me, and it's only a Beta!!

:thumb:

6. Edward_Stream

Edward_Stream Registered Member

anyone tested it? how does it work? how about the balance between resource consumption and detection rate?

7. raven211

8. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I am not sure how it detects. I am beginning to think it is not scanning for malware but rather scanning files for them. I can't think of another way to describe it.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You don't need to describe it, Microsoft describes it very well, it's based on heuristics/generic signatures/dynamic signatures, whatever you want to call it.

10. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

On the Microsoft forums they say that using WD will not be necessary when using MSE...that it covers the same things and then some.

However, WD has HIPS, MSE does not. So you can bypass MSE!

11. raven211

Yep, they're making a big mistake. If checking the built-in Windows Defender of Windows 7 you'll get what I mean... :doubt:

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

When you look at the I/O of MSE, it must be using the same intrusion detection agents as Windows Defender, only you can not control them. So the option to be warned when joining as an experienced member in the community is lost.

For Windows 7/Vista Users the UAC protection will cover that ground, so only the XP users are worse off in practise (well at least the 95% of them which run as admin).

Regards Kees

13. raven211

So what you're saying is that MSE is handling all the data which was HIPS "automatically" by itself instead, and that the same goes for the later WD?

14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sorry, yes and no

MSE offers the same protection as WD at basic user level, using all standard settings. It performs the actions you defined (automatically) when a known malware touches a point protected by an intrusion agent,

Only as advanced user (spynet community) of WD you would get a warining. UAC covers these grounds, so that is problably why MS removed the WD options. As a basic user of WD, you can control/select the agents, MSE does not offer this option. But I guess 99% of the users did not change these WD settings anyway.

Cheers

15. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I used to use WD as an advanced member. Now I'm using MSE with UAC active. When I'm testing malware which try to load drivers...I'm not prompted by UAC...am I supposed to be prompted? I thought UAC only controls the execution of exe's.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm using Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.