Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer2 problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by retiredbee, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retiredbee

retiredbee Registered Member

I am a first time user of this Forum.

Yesterday I downloaded MSBA2 from Microsoft site and I had "problems" during the download and it now shows up when I look.. at files,exe,txt etc ....
    It shows up as a foreign language (Reminds me of old IBM Display language of "KATAKANA ---(Japanese) ?? The Run, Save BOXES during the download showed the SAME..!! (NOT ALL of them) I just knew that it was not going to produce a good result.. I have NEVER seen this on all my years and years and years HA! of doing downloads !!

ANY help or suggestions appreciated... Even open to other "SITES" where I could get a "good" download.

BARRY (retiredbee@yahoo.com)

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Could you please post a screen shot? You can attach it to your next post.

Regards, hqsec

3. retiredbee

Hi hqsec,

Be glad to provide screenshot.. if you give me the steps to do so ... I have done it once before but long time ago..

I am running XP SP3 and loaded the MBSA for XP version..

The characters look like the Chinese or Japanese "symbols-stick men looking" HA!

4. Minimalist

It might be, that you installed Japanese version of MBSA. I would suggest you to uninstall MBSA and re-download installer from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7558. Be sure to download MSI file with EN at the end. If you use 64 bit system, download MBSASetup-x64-EN.msi, if you use 32 bit system download MBSASetup-x86-EN.msi.

Regards, hqsec

5. retiredbee

Thanks hqsec,

I believe that is what was loaded down, I ended up with a shortcut=MBSA.exe
    and a file "MBSA2mux86.exe" and many more all in English when I look at the folder ??

But I will use your link you provided to do reload, after I do UNinstall deletes ? and what ever is needed to get rid of all? of my first download.

Many THANKS, I will try this all tomorrow day, it's 3:30 AM now here in Virginia!

Barry

6. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

7. retiredbee

To hqsec,
    THANKS for your help.. I fixed my problem !! First I did an uninstall of what I had (cleanest uninstall I have ever seen=icons,folder & content all gone).
    I used your LIMK provided and it took me to where I had gone before... First page has language choices (English,French,German & Japanese)
    Second page on site showed many x64 bit files and ONE 32 bit file for download=mbsasetup_x86-DE.msi o_O FINALLY, "silly" me noticed the
    "slide bar" and WOW... first hidden file was mbsasetup_x86-en.msi .... Installed and ran with no problems !!
    I guess ".DE.msi" gets you Japanese ?
    Many THANKS again for your help.... Barry (retiredbee@yahoo.com)

8. Minimalist

Hi! Nice to hear that you've solved your problem. DE stands for German language, FR for French and JA for Japan. It's always best to choose installer with EN in name :)

Regards, hqsec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.