Microsoft av now elite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ako, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

See the graph on www.prevx.com . MS is in its own class. What has happened?

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

actually microsofts product is quite good now, it recieved a great result from the last av-test.org test.

96.42%

they have hired all the good analysts from quite a few av vendors.

and you must admit yourself, a 3 month trial is very welcomed.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm not sure if that graph isn't missed samples (that are detected by Prevx), instead of detected.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Microsoft is now l33t. Yeah... I suppose its possible. They have the potential to build a great security system, but it will take some time.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If I read that confusing graph correctly you are right...
    MS is in a class by itself.And not a very good one!
    Aren't those numbers missed detections that Prevx caught?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Graph is about missed detections , not the detections.

Should I believe this? In one day, they are detecting and analyzing more than1300 samples. What u think?

New and unique- that means very new samples, no definitions for AV vendors yet. Detection of these new samples 77% by other AVS and 100% by Prevx. This is typical sort of advertisement. What about unique samples missed by Prevx and detected by other AVs?

Don,t get me wrong. Prevx must be a fine product to complement ur AV and I like the concept but this description is just a typical advertisement.

7. ako

ako Registered Member

Indeed. See also my post on http://www.castlecops.com/t203755-Prevx_performance.html

By the way. The MS performance on the Prevx graph was improved about 3 times higher only week ago. What did they do?

8. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

To clarify the graph...

We are not saying that the samples represent 100% of all new malware - this is not what the graph is about. No company can say that they receive samples of all new malware every day - that would be a crazy claim. It's obvious that some vendors will receive samples that we don't. All we can do is provide statistics based on the samples that we do receive from the Prevx community. Obviously, the bigger the Prevx community gets, the more we will see.

The samples fed into the tests for the graph on our homepage are those which we have received from the Prevx community in the last 24 hours. That is, those which Prevx 2.0 and Prevx CSI detect as malware and that Prevx 2.0 can remove. All samples are executables.

The graph shows the number of those samples detected by each of the other security products. The numbers in the text at the top indicates how many were missed by all the other products. All products are fully up to date for there latest signatures before the tests are run.

So, on today's graph we tested 1364 samples that we received yesterday. Of those samples, 305 (22.4%) were not detected by any of the security products on test. The performance of the products tested ranged from Microsoft's comendable 891 (65.3%) down to Trend's 6. Microsoft's performance was only slightly ahead of Symantec until last Saturday's test run, when they suddenly jumped three fold. They have maintained that advantage in every test this week.

Prevx

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation.
    BTW the title seemed a bit misleading in its words, may be need to be modified a bit.

10. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

The graph makes sense to me, (though I have had the advantage of reading this thread first), if you set aside the fact that MSFT is doing so well. What MSFT product is doing the detecting?

11. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Just few words,..... now these days this is not an issue, they can acquire any AV company and can rename as MS Antivirus with rock solid products.

so gaining their own experience is not necessary, is it ? :rolleyes:

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I agree. Eventually it will become a good AV (they built the OS and bought AV company), or already good.
    I don't see a bright future for many AV companies, if they give a free version with every Windows copy. The big and best survive, or merge, but competition will shrink imo.
    I almost picture them making an offer for Prevx. Almost the next logical step, in my head anyway.. :D

Just my wacky thoughts.

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The av program M$ bought was RAV,which was a very good program.
    I suppose it is possible that MS won't screw it up.Not holding my breath though.
    WD=Giant AntiSpyware after a lobotomy.:thumbd:

14. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

And I'll bet it was the 1996 version of RAV, too! Like you, Tester, I'm not holding my breath either. Has anyone ever see MS do anything other than screw up?

Dave

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I decided to give the Live OneCare 90 trial version a try. Hey, it's very nice. It doesn't slow my computer down at all. There's not a lot of configuration options, but I can live with that.

I'm not a security expert, so I don't have a giant list of malware I can test OneCare, or any AV with. The only thing I do is test AVs with the eicar tests, and see if a firewall can pass the stealth test at grc.com. OneCare passed both. I see it passed the latest VB 100 test also. I'll run it for a few more weeks, and see how it goes.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What RAV stands for?
    Any more info about this AV in its days?

Thanks

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

RAV used to stand for Reliable AntiVirus. It was developed by a Romanian firm called GeCAD; and was light, fast and had excellent packer support and above average detection rates. GeCAD's RAV division was acquired by Microsoft in 2003; updates for RAV continued for a while, but were eventually stopped.

RAV had a good fan following over here at Wilders back in the day; it was well regarded as being one of the best AV products out there at the time. Microsoft's OneCare, does not (yet) seem to live up to the standard set by the former RAV, though of course they are improving drastically. :)

18. s4u

s4u Registered Member

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is going to be interesting to see how quickly it might improve.

20. Montpellier

Montpellier Registered Member

Prevx have released a press release about it too:
    http://partageznouvelles.com/releases/2007/10/prweb563165.htm

Just what could Microsoft have done to suddenly be so much better at catching new malware? Sure, they bought RAV, but that was 3 years ago - don't think it will have suddenly made an impact in the last 2 weeks ;)

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Firecat. Unfortunately in 2003 I was mot knowing anythinga bout PC and security. At that time, I was knowing only Norton and Mcafee!

Is it possible to see it screenshots from somewhere?

Thanks

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

here you go OneCare and the next post is from Rav AV.

Attached Files:

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

and here is Rav

Attached Files:

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thnaks bigc!

25. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Argh! Where can I get a bigger version of the unreadably small graph on that page. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.