Microsoft Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 7

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by NICK ADSL UK, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

To help customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft will distribute Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates and the Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites shortly after the final version of Internet Explorer 7 is released (planned for the 4th quarter of 2006). Internet Explorer 7 will be available for users of genuine Windows XP SP2, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, and Windows Server 2003 SP1.

This announcement provides an overview of the delivery process and options available to organisations to prevent delivery to their users. Microsoft will revise this announcement once the specific date for start of automatic distribution has been set.
    Automatic Updates Delivery Process

The automatic delivery process will notify users an update is available and allow users to choose whether to install Internet Explorer 7. The process is described below and screenshots are included at the bottom of this page.

Automatic Updates will only offer Internet Explorer 7 to users with local administrator accounts. Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with Automatic Updates configured to automatically download and install updates) when Internet Explorer 7 has been downloaded and is ready to install. The notification and installation process will not start unless and until a user who is a local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will thus continue using Internet Explorer 6.

After clicking on the Automatic Updates notification balloon, users will see a welcome screen summarizing key features of Internet Explorer 7 and presenting three options - Install, Don’t Install, and Ask Me Later.

If a user selects “Install”: The installation process will commence and require Windows Genuine Advantage validation and a re-boot to complete. Installation of Internet Explorer 7 will not override a user’s default browser choice and will transfer the user’s previous homepage, favourites, search settings and compatible toolbars. When the user launches Internet Explorer 7, a first-run experience will be offered highlighting new features and changes.

If a user selects “Don’t Install”: The notification process will not re-prompt the user to install at a later time; however, any user who is a local administrator will be able to install Internet Explorer 7 at any time as an optional update from the Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites or from the Microsoft Download Center.

If a user selects “Ask Me Later”: The install process will not proceed and Automatic Updates will start notifying the user that an update is available using the same process (notification balloon and welcome screen) within approximately 24 hours.

Internet Explorer 7 will replace Internet Explorer 6 on a user’s machine. However, users will be able to roll back to Internet Explorer 6 by uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 via the Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs utility

For further information with regards the deployment of Internet Explorer 7 and Automatic Updates Delivery Experience Screenshots
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7announcement.mspx

2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

I'm getting just a little annoyed though, can't they just tell us the ACTUAL release date? Not within a 4-month quarter, but at least tell us what month it's coming? IE7 has been in beta forever, it should be almost done anyway...I was expecting it to be finished by late August or early September.

3. NICK ADSL UK

Arabic, Finnish, French, German, Japanese and Spanish are due to follow in September. The French and Spanish versions represent new localised versions of the software, since neither language was supported in beta code. The release is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 in addition to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.

As previously announced, Microsoft plans to distribute the final version of IE7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates soon after the final version is released for Windows XP later this year. ®

Related stories
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/08/25/ie7_rc1_release/

4. NICK ADSL UK

Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 7
    IE7BlockerToolkit.EXE

Overview

To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft will distribute Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 soon after the final version of the browser is released (planned for fourth quarter 2006). Microsoft is making a non-expiring Blocker Toolkit available for those organisations that would like to block automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 7 to machines in environments where Automatic Updates is enabled.

Note:
    The Blocker Toolkit will prevent machines from receiving Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates and the “Express” install option on the Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites. The Blocker Toolkit will not expire.
    The Blocker Toolkit will not prevent users from manually installing Internet Explorer 7 as a Recommended update from the Windows Update or Microsoft Update sites, from the Microsoft Download Center, or from external media.
    Organizations do not need to deploy the Blocker Toolkit in environments managed with an update management solution such as Windows Server Update Services or Systems Management Server 2003. Organizations can use those products to fully manage deployment of updates released through Windows Update and Microsoft Update, including Internet Explorer 7, within their environment.

Download and information >>>>>Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 7
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...F7-5D44-482B-9DBD-869B4A90159C&displaylang=en

Internet Explorer 7 Blocker Toolkit: Frequently Asked Questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7blockertoolfaq.mspx

Related News >>>>>Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 7
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7announcement.mspx

5. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

Well, I think that the final release date for IE7 (right now, IE7 RC1 is released at Microsoft's IE site) is at the 2nd Tuesday of September (to correspond with the windows/microsoft updates). Doesn't seem like a bad idea actually, but I hope a lot of holes and bug are plugged before the final. Also, I hope toolbar developers adapted their products for IE7 ... Anyway, by the looks of it, Microsoft has finally done IE good. Sad part is that its only released for XP users ... Not previous OSs ...

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Only if you have given M$ automatic access to your precious little machine...Oh how they love the conformist.........:D :D

Wait 'til they stick you with DRM..........:eek:

Cochise, 'DR'u'M'ming up trouble in Dakota......:cool:

7. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I'm already very content with alternative browsers, IE 7 can wait for a long long time...

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I agree, I am very happy with Opera. But at the same time I read some thing very interesting on IE7 http://www.windows-noob.com/review/ie7/ since i8t is I can't uninstall IE. I'd rather plug the security holes in IE, even though I dont use it, at lease I'd would't have IE to worry about as a possible entry point for explots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.