Microsoft attacks Linux right at retail level.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

haha thats excellent.
    updating in windows easier?
    ~ snipped ~ package managers ftw.
    device support in linux is fantastic imo and unlike windows all my hardware is supported OOTB (except my soundcard stupid creative...)
    WOW does work on linux if you use wine.
    I dont need no itunes or anyother piece of crap from apple. funny how they list a competitors product lol.
    I only got windows 7 to help my clients.

the only reason windows 7 has fixed quite a few flaws that have existed in windows for years is because of the bad press about vista and people switching to other platforms.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009
  3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

As much as do like and use a fair few Microsoft products, I really don't like this and one of the reasons I am starting to favour numerous non-MS products.
    They go on about how much they are embrasing open source technologies and interoptibility with Linux to one group of people, then go and spread FUD like this to another group.
    Wait until Slashdot and the Register get hold of it ;)

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

They already have. ComputerWorld and TechDirt too.

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Unbelievable but typical propaganda and FUD tactic again.

7. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's a great corporation, with high standards..

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Once a software product enters the payware category, against another software product that is similar, they are competition, no matter the product.

Linux has entered the payware category. For instance, RedHat. They are traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

Stockholders in companies expect return on their investments.

Business competition can be brutal. No surprises here.

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

XD at Windows being safer.

11. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Yes but one doesn't have to use Red Hat or SuSE or any other enterprise distro. The vast majority of distros are completely free in cost and license. RedHat and Novell make their livings by selling Linux to enterprises who need phone or in-house tech support (usually enterprises that have a lot of servers, etc.).

And since most of the popular distros are free (Ubuntu for instance) and only take up 1% of the market share, one must ask why is M$ wasting time with a smear campaign? I can tell you why: they know that their gig of selling a crappy, over priced OS is almost up. There are better and free solutions out there now, and more and more people will adopt Linux/BSD/Solaris to the point where Windows will be obsolete within a decade. Ballmer knows he cannot compete with free forever, so the strategy is to just smear Linux in the interim -- that is, before Ballmer and company can come up with a plan on how to capitalize on the FLOSS movement. Right now it seems they may take the SCO route and begin suing for "patent violations." If that doesn't work, they will either have to get on board the FLOSS train or just get out of the software business (and M$ can indeed be profitable without relying on Windows or Office).

12. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I suspect this is a reaction to Google releasing their OS in the near future.
    It would appear MS are worried!

13. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I think it is a reaction to netbook sales with Linux. While overall Linux use may only be about 2%, it is reaching 30% on netbooks. That is the market the MS training is teaching sales people to lie about.

14. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

This is exactly what it's about, they even point out "Netbooks" in the first slide which is what Google and their Linux kernel is targeting.

MS have got the gloves on, it's time to fight so they are starting to swing before Google has entered the ring. :D

15. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Google's OS for netbooks is still vaporware. Linux is hurting MS in the netbook market without any help from Google, thank you. Google's joining the fray will help, and is appreciated. But it isn't necessary.

When you have an OS that will fit in 30mb, vs one that requires 10gb, you don't need a whole lot of help in the netbook market.

And MS's lying about Linux is nothing new. They've been doing it for years in the server market.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.