Microsoft AntiSpyware question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brian2005, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian2005

Brian2005 Registered Member

Hello Everyone... A few months ago I purchased Spy Sweeper for 2 years (my license is valid that long) and I've been very happy with it. However, I came across "Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)" and seeing that it is free and offers over 50 ways to protect your PC from getting spyware, is it safe for a beta? Or would you wait until they decide to release a "final" release.....

Thanks so much,

Brian

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Yes it's safe. If you have Spysweeper realtime protection enabled I would use MSAP for on demand without its realtime enabled.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you are NOT a beta tester, than you have to wait for the final version of MSAS.
    MSAS beta1 isn't safe yet and has several bugs.

4. The Hammer

It's not restricted to Beta Testers and the bugs if any are minor.

5. Brian2005

OK thank you both for your replies. So if I understand correctly, the latest release is OK if your a beta tester? I noticed on Microsofts website it is ok to download, but maybe you have to be a beta tester like you said ErikAlbert :).

Please advise,

Brian

6. The Hammer

No you don't have to be a Beta tester to download the latest version. That info is in error.

7. ErikAlbert

According my readings you never use beta software on a computer in production, only on a test computer. Beta is beta.
    If you want to take the risk, that's OK with me. I'm just warning you.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

actually MSAS works very well and should work well for you. ;)

9. Brian2005

OK... was going to ask if it would be safe if you or The Hammer have used it and would trust it on a as you said "computer in production".

Thanks,

Brian

10. bigc73542

I have had it installed on my primary computer since MSAS was released ;)

11. ErikAlbert

If everybody starts using beta versions what is the meaning of "beta" then ?

12. Brian2005

Oh wow ok. Just curious Bigc, does it contain protection if it catches a program trying to be a keylogger or offer "Outbound Protection" like a firewall would catch?

13. The Hammer

As Do I. Periodically there is a bug but they are short lived and solved by update. Your system is not in any danger as use of this program is incredibly widespread. It is being developed from Giant Antispyware company bought by Microsoft.

14. bigc73542

My understanding is that when you run an on demand scan it should detect it. Just be sure to set it to auto update unless you would manually check often. Or if the loggeer is active it might catch it with it;s realtime service.

15. The Hammer

It offers similar protection to Spy Sweeper and works in a similar manner.

16. Brian2005

The Hammer, that sounds great. Now, would you say you'd stick with Spy Sweeper or Microsoft Antispyware?

BigC, thanks for your reply. Ok, I will keep that in mind if I do decide to install this program.

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It is a very safe program and for whatever reason(legal ?)....Microsoft chose to use the word Beta as part of the name. As most know from the history of the program it was doing fine when it was Giant Anti-Spyware and remains the same even with the added name Beta. It should not however be viewed IMHO as what most users know as Beta. As other members have alluded to....it's solid and has no more burps than other comparable programs. Those that choose to see the word Beta and not try the program for that reason are ill informed or simply hungup on the word Beta.

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

anyone can use beta software. beta simply means the software has bugs and is a work in progress.

19. The Hammer

You can use MSAP as secondary check but you may not need it depending on the security programs you are running. BigC knows a lot more than I do about that.

20. ErikAlbert

At work, we don't do that. Applications are in test mode or in production mode.
    That's why we have test machines and production machines and we give it to the users after testing it thoroughly.

I guess other location, other rules. Nothing more than that.

21. The Hammer

Bubba explains this particular "Beta" question perfectly.

22. Brian2005

Hi Everyone, Bubba thanks for your reply. That was a very nice reply, (in-depth and informative). Just curious, when it "expires", How do I renew? It says by contacting Microsoft but do I do this by phone or how does that work? Does anyone know?

Thank you,

Brian

23. The Hammer

See here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en Scroll down to where it says Note to users with expired versions. Also you can download from a number of sites not just Microsoft.

24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well some developers/companies choose to release public betas to compensate for limited testing resources; by letting the public test it, ur software will be tested on numerous configs. also most companies have disclaimers for their public betas since noobs might downlaod them thinking its a new version and itll work a great as a final release.

25. Trekk

Trekk Registered Member

That stands true for some software, but for those which are harmless code I dont worry about it much. Besides, anyone who is using Microsoft products is using beta software. Thats what patches are for ;)

Trekk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.