Microsoft AntiSpyware beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by micaman, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micaman

micaman Registered Member

Do you ever find anything with your Microsoft AntiSpyware beta? It has been 3 months since it found a tracking cookie. As a Microsoft beta tester, I will be contacting Microsoft with your answers (only answers, no user names). I know it's free, and a beta, but really!!! So many people have it, but it never finds anything. Microsoft must have done something to it.

I would love to take some facts to them, if someone will give me their thoughts on this program. Maybe we can get it to find something again?!

2. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Its never found anything on my machine.

3. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Found last night, don't worry, it looks a very good app.

4. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i uninstalled it coz it never found anything at all and i had it for a few months.

5. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Just ran it again, found nothing. I then ran Adaware which found 8 tracking cookies :doubt:

6. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Never found anything on my machine, however neither has any other application.

7. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

Found one this morning.
    John

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Ditching MS-AntiSpyware because it doesn't find any cookies is plain silly, you can easily delete them daily/several times daily with programs like CCleaner (free), Window Washer etc.

It's strenth is adware/spyware and the fact you don't find any, could of course very well be because you havent got any! :)

9. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Exactly Don! ;)
    If that were the logic......then I'd be ditching M$AS, SBSD, AAW, EWIDO, et al......because they all find nothing. ;)

10. alien_ufo

alien_ufo Guest

MSAS has only found 2 keyloggers (in a zip and exe installer) that I store on my computer for testing purposes, they are not installed in my computer at this time. They were SpyAnywhere and Invisible Keylogger. It hasn't really found anything else that I can remember, but like others have said here, neither does any of my other many anti-spyware programs that I have. Except Pest Patrol which is still always finding false positives.

11. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Didnt say I was ditching it, just reporting the facts from my machine today

12. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/faq.mspx

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Ok, i was speaking in more general terms, the fact is that cookies are best handles by simply deleting them and keeping those you need (like the one for Wilders ;) with the cookie keeper in CCleaner or which ever trackscleaner program you use and use MS Anti for some of the more heavy spyware you might come in contact with. :)

14. zcv

zcv Registered Member

AFAIK, MS AS doesn't look for tracking cookies. There was "talk" about adding that feature, but so far haven't done so.

Regards - Charles

15. culla

culla Registered Member

the only thing it found was my p2p bearsharelite i have adaware se,spybot with tea timer on,spywareblaster,i've just added spywareguard because msas was giving me this problem
    everytime i use ejay [a music program which has no spyware] the microsoft antispyware won't work it just flashes up and disappears unless i reinstall it anyone know how to fix this so it does?
    i also found when uninstalling it left 124files behind not very impressive!

16. micaman

This is an excellent program and I would not remove it from your machine, even if it never finds anything.

I started this topic to find more out about this program from this forum. I will be submitting information to Microsoft on ideas to make this program better. I really like the many features included with it and would keep it simply for those tools.

However, I do think it can be better and will be, when it is finished. All of the imput will help shape the future of this excellent malware & security tool. Thanks to everyone who submitted their thoughts on this program. Hopefully we can get a lot more to respond.

To clarify the cookie debate. Microsoft AntiSpyware does not flag tracking cookies. The item it flagged on my system in June was listed by M.S. as a threat. Upon researching the item in my database, I discovered it was indeed a tracking cookie and nothing more.

The other day it found another product when my wife was online. It was the IBIS Toolbar, windows/unvise32qt.exe and it flagged it with a pop-up. It could not clean it, so I did manually. I do agree that just because something is not found, does not mean we should uninstall the program.

:eek:

17. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

mine often stops things from installing my own stupidity?...so that yes is good!! :eek: :eek:

18. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Do you have Quick Time installed?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14328738

Regards - Charles

19. micaman

Hey "maddawgz," if we could get EVERYONE to use this feature, the world could be something really great! :D

Thanks "Charles" for the link! I read all of it and feel I should have known that. o_O I do have QuickTime but have it blocked by my firewall. I will manually remove it when the time comes. I test ISP's and it came with AOL, at some point. Your information was right on! :D

:)

20. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

the beta verison can't find cookies the full one will. and it has found stuff kazaa put on my computer

21. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Very true,

Mine fines nothing as well but if I run Pest Patrol it will find a plethora of cookies trackers, it even missed some key loggers that Pest Patrol did not.

I think MSAS is a very good program but it is "Beta" so it is not perfect, and it does not hurt having some overlaping protection that covers what it currently does not.

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It's a small detail and I know it's still a beta version, but it irritates me :

MSAS's icon in the system tray has a yellow message with the text :
    "Microsoft AntiSpyware - Active"
    I don't know what other people think, but when I read this message, I think that the MSAS realtime is active and working.

When I click right on this icon, I can "Disable Real-time Protection" and when I do that, the yellow message says again :
    "Microsoft AntiSpyware - Active"
    Do you think this is good or wrong ?

23. zcv

zcv Registered Member

What's even more irritating is after a scan having to get rid of the tray icon (gcasDtServ.exe).

Regards - Charles

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't have THAT problem, but you didn't answer my question. :)

25. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It sounds like you found a bug.. I expect you have reported this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.