Microsoft Anti-Spyware to help fight P2P?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I recently installed MS Anti-Spyware (MSAS) which I think is an awesome program. I must also admit that I have Kazaa Lite+ installed which is the spyware/trojan free version. I have had it installed for years now and no other program has every detected anything wrong with it. On the first scan, MSAS listed over 100 "signatures" for Kazaa on my system. (I have NOD32, F-prot<backup scanner>, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware, SpybotS&D, MSAS, and Ewido and none of them found a problem)

Could this be Microsoft's hidden agenda? To remove P2P programs and label them as "Spyware" so users feel they are being "Saved". And since the program can "report back" any spyware it finds, I wonder if this is yet another ploy for MS & Company to track down P2P users. I know my system doesn't have anything bad on it, so I made sure to exclude this in my scans.

I just thought this was interesting to see. Anybody else had this happen?

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Capp, ;)

I'm sure they have it listed/flagged for 2 reasons.

1. It's riskware, the same as any other P2P client, as it increases your risk for malware, as it become standard for propagating such. ~Nothing is free~ ;)

2. The lite version itself is illegal as it's a modified/cracked program, which would be covered by the EULA of the original program.

Steve

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I agree on why it would detect it, but as I mentioned, nothing else did. I just wonder if this is MS's way weed out the people using/sharing via P2P.

It's a conspiracy man!!

LOL....I'm not concerned, just wanted to poing this little fact out :)

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

i use limewire and that goes through fine.

Try switching to that its much better.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

eMule is another, the best option IMO. It's open source, and it has a few nice security options, including the ability to run it with reduced security privileges.

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I'm not looking for another P2P source, I just wanted to point out the fact that MSAS is the only security program I have run yet that tried to mess with my Kazaa Lite install.

I sarcastically meant that it was convenient that the program that can report stuff back to MS & Company happen to find a file sharing program that doesn't have any spyware in it. :)

7. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yes, absolutely correct. Kazaa Lite is illegal and should be banned actually, some users think that downloading the lite version can keep them safe from all the crap in the original version and the lite version is clean and graded a* ok.
    What they don't know is... the lite version is just a modified/cracked program of the original version. Modified/cracked programs are not legal.

Come to think of it, why did they create P2P programs such as Kazaa in the first place?
    So that they can spread more malware and compromise as many computers as they can, and create a zombie network?

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Kazaa Lite is clean. People who use it always say that.
    It is clean. But, its a modified/cracked version of the original version of Kazaa that has all the malware crap removed.

Clean. Illegal. ''Good'' to use. :) As if.

9. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    Is this M$ antispyware free or time limited. because today a message appears: "This version expires in 100 days bla bla" this message didnt show few days ago. Any info. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.