Microsoft Acquires Anti-Spyware Leader GIANT Company

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by worldcitizen, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the link CrazyM.

Rich

2. roge 3

roge 3 Guest

Microsoft will KILL GIANT same as they did to RAV antivirus and behind all of that is Symantec and McAfee who probably finance all that!

Wondering how much they paid for GIANT?

3. rage 3

rage 3 Guest

Lets remind to this event 1 year ago about RAV antivirus and Microsoft:

"""Bucharest, June 10, 2003 ? GeCAD Software has announced a definitive agreement with Microsoft Corp., of Redmond, Wash., USA, by which Microsoft will acquire GeCAD?s antivirus technology. Microsoft has stated its intention to integrate GeCAD?s technology into products and services that will help secure customers."""

As we can see and after 1 year there is no sign that Microsoft working on antivirus solutions and no RAV no more!

Same will happen with GIANT anti-spyware

Im personally sure Symantec and McAfee did this all undercover behing Microsoft!

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

- RAV does still exist (updates are still delivered, by Microsoft[?])
    - Microsoft is working on the AV and I think it will be released during 2005
    - McAfee, Symantec and RAV/Microsoft are concurrents, so your conclusions are wrong and IMO you only try to provocate discussions

5. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

The sad part is that Giant was a Good Thing. It had properties which Microsoft products typically, and intentionally lack:
    - it provided an intuitive interface which was suitable for both middle level users and experts. But Microsoft only targets the beginners.
    - it had several of options to customize to your needs. Microsoft prefers uniform softwares with no more then a single ON/OFF switch.
    - several parts could be disabled separately. But Microsoft prefers monolithic softwares. Just look at all the examples.
    - it provided informations which was useful for advanced users. MS tends to hide such information to avoid confusing the beginners: you should be prepared to see popup notifications withouth specifying filenames, registry keys and values, spyware names, etc. "Your computer is in danger. Click OK to remove danger." That is the MS way.

I guess that MS will cut the software down by removing components, and several configuration options, just to form it into the usual product line.
    Obviously avarage users will still benefit, because they will get at least some kind of protection. But the advanced users, arghhh, we should start looking elsewhere.
    -hojtsy-

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  6. polyglory

polyglory Registered Member

Reckon your right hojtsy,

I just purchased the Program a couple of weeks ago, guess we will just have to wait and see what lashup, they come up with. :rolleyes:

7. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Crap!

8. steverio

steverio Registered Member

"...Two other Giant products—Spam Inspector and Popup Inspector—will be discontinued."

eweek

Well, that's just great! I've owned both SI and PI for awhile and now I'll have to flush them down the toilet! I've gotten to where I only want to purchase freeware if I can get by with them and not continue upgrading with programs that I already have purchased.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Now THAT is one frightening bit of information!!! :eek:

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Microsoft AV is to be released end of third quarter along with the antispyware. Code named A1 subscription service. Tuesday's release of Titan is the beginning. They are starting out with a few freebies leading up to the main subscription items later this year.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1747847,00.asp

11. steverio

steverio Registered Member

The Internet has lots to offer but it has turned into one giant "subscription" service just to keep your computer safe! I've had happier days with plain old freeware and common sense.

12. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I purchased my giant licence five weeks ago. everyday I got the same update. it is stuck in a loop, I cannot download the latest version of Giant anymore...try it, it won't work, my licence is expiring in three days (but I purchased it) and they didn't responded to my four!!! emails.

what do I do? I rather have PP on my machine at the moment then Giant.

an unhappy giant user here!!!

13. polyglory

polyglory Registered Member

I've just checked mine out, says 308 days to run and on update 5678 on 09-01-05.

14. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

it is stuck on 5679 - 5680 everyday when I click on update, it is updating to 5680, every five minutes if I would click on update it is updating 5680, installing the defs for it and well, it goes on and on...

I tried to download the latest version, 301 but cannot download it anymore from their website...

:lol, I knew it was going to be like that,:D, m$ cannot handle it that is my feeling I have, hope it will fade away but...I have my doubts.

cheers

15. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

So what do you do if you need to reinstall Giant because of a reformat or whatever? How do you get hold of the installation files?

16. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Go to the Support site. If you no longer have the registration key, you can request it. If you have the key, go here to download a new copy. I tested it out, it does work.

Blue

17. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Thanks BlueZannetti! It worked for me too - good to have a copy as a precaution in these uncertain times.

18. Netrol

Netrol Guest

If I owned the largest OS company in the world, and I know my programs have security issues. And I just purchased a software company that makes money from those security short comings. Where is my incentive to ever correct those short comings in my software? After all MS is not about publishing the best software its about making money of close enough software.

19. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Netrol,

You as well as anyone is entitled to any opinion concerning all topics - Microsoft included.

That said: as stated, fact remains aprox. 80% from all average Joe's and Jane's systems have been infected one way or another with spyware. Implementing/providing software to prevent infection as far as possible is keeping lots of common users out of trouble. And that's a good thing in my book ;) .

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.