Microsoft Account Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hawki, Oct 3, 2016.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Does your Windows Unlock Screen Password have to be the same as your Microsoft Account Password?

If you use a different PW would that be a local account that is not synced to your MS Account, e.g. One Drive, MS Office would require a seperate login?

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, you can have different password to unlock the screen or PIN number that is not linked to your Microsoft account. However, I don't know hot to create a local account and then been offline to all other MS services (if I understood well what you would like to do). It should be possible.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If you still want to use the other options (OneDrive, Office 365, or Cortana for that matter) then I would just use a PIN or maybe a fingerprint scanner. If you don't want to use those services a local account will easily take care of that. If I understand correctly though it sounds like you do want to use these. Maybe you don't want to type out the password, or someone else is using the machine? Is so, I'd definitely go with the PIN or fingerprint scanner.

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks fax and xxJackxx

My problem is that for security reasons I must change my Microsoft Account password ASAP. I do want to use the same PW for the Unlock/Log-In Screen as my Microsoft Account. I was wondering what the effect would be if I changed my Microsoft Account PW first and subsequently a problem developed, like my PC being tripped off by a power surge (a common occurrence where I live) before I changed my Login/Unlock Screen PW to match.

I had assumed in the above scenario, that at worst, my old log-in/unlock password would log me in to a "local account" not associated with my Microsoft Account.

Only The Paranoid Survive

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Once you change your Microsoft account password it is changed. You will use it to log on to ANY device from that point forward. You old password will no longer be valid on any device.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.