MicroATX Motherboard inside a Full ATX Case, Possible?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi,

After my MicroATX PSU is pretty much giving out. I bought myself a new ATX PSU thinking i could replace it with this. It did not fit inside my microATX case.

All the microATX PSU's i can find online are in the 200-300w range which is below my usage needs and likely why the one i have now is packing up.

Therefore i was considering buying a brand new full ATX case to replace mine and to fit up my machine with the new ATX PSU in. However my motherboard is a MiroATX Athlon XP 2200 type. Would this work putting the microatx motherboard into a new atx case?.

If so is there anything else i should look out for that may cause problems as i am not an expert on the internals of my PC.

Or are there any good ATX cases you would recommend me to buy. I would like a one without a PSU but all the needed fans included as i would just like my rebuild to be an easy one.

Thanks
    Anthony

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes microATX board will fit within a ATX case.

as for a case, what your price range and what size tower do u want (mid-size, full)?

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Something else to keep in mind when buying a case. IMO, not only do the fans have a lot to do with cooling, so dose the case size. The larger the case the more room for air space\movement. If a 300w is not enough for your needs then it sounds like you are 1) Running more then 1 HDD. 2) Running more them 1 optical drive. 3) Running a higher end processor. 4) Running more then the average amount of memory. 5) Running a lot of USB powered peripherals. 6) Over clocking. Or 7) Any combination of the above. When I build PC`s I never go smaller then mid-size but prefer full size. Of course the available room you have to put it and as mentioned your wallet have a lot to do with it.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Of course, a MicroATX motherboard on an ATX case can actually increase the heat rather than decrease it. This is because MicroATX motherboard usually have cramped components to fit maximum features into small form factor. The case fan may not be able to adequately cool all of these components, and that may become a problem. :)

However, I have not heard of this happening in quite a while.

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Good point. I can see where the smaller size of the mobo would not allow it to lay with in the designed air flow of the case. So once again a lot go`s back to the design of the case and number\locations of fans it is designed for. Among a couple of other factors.

6. blarson

blarson Registered Member

I am using the Ultra MicroFly Aluminum Micro ATX Tower Case with Ultra V-Series 400-Watt Power Supply. It takes a standard ATX length power supply. Also, the fan is on the underside of the supply which makes for quieter operation. Just Google: Ultra MicroFly, for many favorable reviews.

I got mine from www.performance-pcs.com because they also have the A. C. Ryan Roundcable2-FX ATA133 30cm (12") Black, 1+1 device. This cable combines a short ribbon cable for over and under drives, and a short, round cable to the board. Good for air flow.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.