MetroPipe shuts down Tor service, privacy problems?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Seratine, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seratine

Seratine Registered Member

MetroPipe's Tor system (can use the Tunneler to access .onion) has been down for some time. Recently they stated to me: "Re: Tor there are some issues we are working on that were security related and we cannot bring it back up until those issues are resolved."

Anybody know anything more? Is Tor have security problems?

Thanks.

2. Kavya

Kavya Registered Member

Please, any ideas? Anyone?

3. Hillsboro

Hillsboro Registered Member

Nothing beyond what has been long-standing as far as encrypting emails that are sensitive and such.

The other reason is/maybe, and this is based on speculation... many of the TOR node providers are blocking Metropipe, much as they do with torrents, and usenet ports 19 and 563, etc, to shut out the down loaders from using all the bandwidth. Stopping the leaching of massive amounts of bandwidth by a few so TOR can be used as it was intended to be. I am amazed Metropipe thought they could get a free ride without most of the people who give who provide TOR node slamming the door shut on them. TOR is a free volunteer community effort. I run a node and I shut them out long ago, along with the other leaches.

There is nothing wrong with with service that Metropipe provide... they just need to do it on systems they pay for and run. No free rides for them at our expense. They were politely told this when the started. Apparently they didn't take the community seriously.

4. Seratine

Seratine Registered Member

How does Metropipe try to exploit Tor and get a free ride? the only use of Tor is when connecting to a .onion network, never when connecting to a standard site. As far as I have seen, the tunnel servers I am routed through are owned by them, except in the case of Tor. I know Tor can't provide 400+KB/s over a standard website, that's for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.